2012 AMA Supercross Results
Spoiler Alert: 2012 AMA Supercross results from Georgia Dome, Atlanta, Ga., listed below
The 2012 AMA Supercross Championship traveled to the Georgia Dome in Atlanta Saturday evening, the action getting underway before a sold-out crowd of 71,009.
And although he suffered a crash during his heat race, Ryan Dungey took the win in Atlanta, his second of the 2012 AMA SX season. The Minnesota native was joined on the podium by the reigning AMA Supercross Champion, Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX450F) and James Stewart (JGRMX Yamaha YZ450F).
But it wasn’t an easy win for the KTM SX-F 450 rider. American Honda Muscle Milk’s Cole Seely grabbed the holeshot, followed by Dungey and Stewart’s teammate Davi Millsaps. After reeling in Seely, Dungey made the pass on the eight lap, and began running a smooth race, leading the remaining 12 of 20 laps en route to his second win
At the start, Villopoto began and sixth and Stewart in ninth, but were up to the front by mid-race. Villopoto gained much time on Dungey, but suffered a slight wobble on the final lap while exiting the sand section, taking all pressure off Dungey. Stewart, meanwhile, ran a clean race to take his fourth podium of 2012 SX.
Ryan Dungey (Red Bull KTM SX-F 450 Supercross) says: “This was such a great way to end the week. After seven weeks I finally got to return to the east coast and train at home. It was great to just have some time to myself and my normal training routine.
“I came into this race feeling confident and refreshed and it all paid off today. My team did an amazing job on my KTM and we had no issues today just a really great race. Thanks again to the Red Bull/KTM Team and my family for their constant support.”
Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX450F Supercross) says: “I just made a little mistake, and early on in the race I fell over and that cost me, huge. The track was tough tonight, you could really see (that) and I just slipped up and washed the front end out. Overall, we had a good night. It just wasn’t the best of weeks coming into this (race), so to come out with a second is good.”
In the Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class, GEICO Honda’s Justin Barcia took the win, sweeping the first two-rounds of the Eastern series.
Barcia took the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot, followed by teammates Blake Bagget and Darryn Durham. As Barcia pulled away during the 15-lap event, a heated battle began for the podium between Baggett, Rockstar Energy Racing Suzuki’s Blake Wharton and GEICO Honda’s Justin Bogle.
After battling for several laps, Baggett took over the second position, and Bogle worked his way past Wharton on Lap 9. Barcia completed his perfect effort by taking the checkered flag 2.253 seconds ahead of Baggett. Bogle held on for his first career podium finish in third, to go along with his first career heat race victory earlier in the evening.
Justin Barcia (GEICO Honda CRF250R Supercross) says: “Two for two (is) not a bad way to start. I wanted a good start, I got the holeshot, and just rode hard from there. The track was super tough tonight. It was very slick and there were a lot of places where the bike was sliding around. I was trying not to make any mistakes. Fortunately, everything went really smooth and we got the win.”
Barcia extended his points lead in the Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class to 12 over Durham.
The 2012 AMA Supercross heads to Saint Louis’ Edward Jones Dome Saturday, March 3, for round 9 of 17.
2012 AMA Supercross Class Results: Atlanta:
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
- Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
- Cole Seely, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
- Jake Weimer, Wildomar, Idaho, Kawasaki
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
- Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
- Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
2012 AMA Supercross Class Season Standings:
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 180
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 170
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 136
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda – 128
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 106
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 105
- Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 100
- Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 96
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 94
- Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Calif., Suzuki – 90
2012 Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results: Atlanta:
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki
- Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda
- Blake Wharton, Beaumont, Texas, Suzuki
- Darryn Durham, Butler, Pa., Kawasaki
- Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
- Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha
- Hunter Hewitt, Corona, Texas, Suzuki
- Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Suzuki
- Shane Sewell, Westville, In, KTM
2012 Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 50
- Darryn Durham, Butler, Pa., Kawasaki – 38
- Blake Wharton, Beaumont, Texas, Suzuki – 36
- Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 35
- Blake Baggett, Butler, Pa, Kawasaki – 28
- Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda – 27
- Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Honda – 26
- Hunter Hewitt, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki – 22
- PJ Larsen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 21
- Lance Vincent, Youngsville, La, KTM – 16