Bowers Sweeps Reno AMA Arenacross
2012 AMA Arenacross Results
Saturday night signified the final night of action for the Reno Arenacross and the fans inside the Livestock Events Center were witness to exceptional competition.
For the second straight evening, Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., took advantage of a strong start to win his 12th race of the season, and inch even closer to a second consecutive Arenacross Class title.
In the Arenacross Lites Class, Reed and Reese KTM’s Dave Ginolfi, of Lake Hopatcong, N.J., secured a hard-fought victory.
FMF Power/Poynt Tuf Honda’s Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio, replicated his efforts from the previous evening to take the early lead in the 25-lap Arenacross Class Main Event. However, Bowers wasn’t far behind and quickly began to put pressure on his rival. Gibson managed to open up a comfortable gap early on, but Bowers quickly minimized the advantage.
On Lap 9, Bowers moved into the lead and proceeded to take control of the main event. The Kawasaki rider continued to pull away from the field on each lap, and ultimately took the checkered flag with a near 13-second advantage over the rest of the field.
Gibson held on for second to ensure that the championship won’t be decided until the season finale, while Bella’s Cupcakes/Club MX Kawasaki’s Zach Ames, of Prospect, Ohio, finished third.
Bowers heads into the final race of the season next weekend in Minneapolis with a 24-point lead over Gibson.
BNTQ.Net/Tuf Honda Racing’s Kevin Markwardt, of Freeport, Ill., grabbed the early lead for the second consecutive night in the 18-lap Arenacross Lites Class Main Event, followed by Ginolfi and TZR Honda’s Scott Zont, of Algonquin, Ill.
On Lap 9, Ginolfi made his move into the lead, and opened up an slight gap over the field. In the closing stages, Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers Kawasaki’s Steven Mages, of Sardinia, Ohio, made a late surge towards the front, closing to within less than a second of the lead.
Ginolfi fended off Mages for the win, while Motostar Kawasaki’s Michael McDade, of Edinburg, Pa., rounded out the podium in third.
In the Dash for cash, Gibson took the win in the four-lap sprint. All proceeds went to the local Northern Nevada Children’s Cancer Foundation and The Children’s Cabinet.
The AMA Arenacross Series hosts its 12th and final round of the season next weekend from Minneapolis, Minn., and the Target Center. Champions will be crowned next Saturday, February 25, with action kicking off at 7:00 p.m. CDT.
2012 AMA Arenacross Class Results, Saturday (Reno, Nev.):
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki
- Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM
- Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM
- Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Honda
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM
2012 AMA Arenacross Lites Class Results (Reno, Nev.):
- Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatcong, N.J., KTM
- Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki
- Michael McDade, Edinburg, Pa, KTM
- Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM
- Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda
- Tiger Lacy, Beaverton, Ore., Kawasaki
- Scott Zont, Algonquin, Ill., Honda
- Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki
- Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM
- Cody Church, Grand Junction, Colo., Kawasaki
2012 AMA Arenacross Class Points (After Race 18 of 19):
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki (12 wins) – 402
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda (3 wins) – 378
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki (2 wins) – 318
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM (1 win) – 275
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki – 272
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 245
- Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM – 206
- Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM – 173
- Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM – 161
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 139
2012 AMA Western Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 8 of 9):
- Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 98
- Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 94
- Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM – 82
- Cody Church, Grand Junction, Colo., Kawasaki – 57
- Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., KTM – 47
- Chris Proscelle, Dulzura, Calif., Honda – 36
- Patrick Massie, Washington Court House, Ohio, Honda – 35
- Brandon Marley, McEwen, Tenn., KTM – 24
- Tiger Lacy, Beaverton, Ore., Kawasaki – 22
- Nick Myers, Collinsville, Texas, Kawasaki – 22
Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series returns for the 2012 season. To follow the intense racing action live, log onto Arenacross.com.