Husqvarna: Historic Dakar Stage Win
2012 Dakar Rally
When a motorcycle other than a KTM wins a stage at Dakar, it creates certain bragging rights. And out of 10 stages so far in 2012 Dakar, only two stages were won by non-KTM motorcycles – Stage 1 with Francisco “Chaleco” Lopez on the Aprilia, and Stage 10 Wednesday with Joan Barreda Bort on the Speedbrain Husqvarna 450RR Rally.
This was a historic-stage win for the Bavarian-Italian Speedbrain Husqvarna at 2012 Dakar, the team now knowing it is capable to compete with the KTM machines, which have won the last 10 Dakar Rally events.
Wolfgang Fischer (Speedbrain Husqvarna Team Principal) says: “All our hard work has been rewarded with this historic win.
“We’re extremely happy to see our bike perform that well – obviously a machine capable of winning at the Dakar against the world´s best. Earning this result is very satisfying to say the least. A stage win against two of the sport´s greatest.”
During Stage 10, Barreda Bort was able to catch MRW Red Bull AMV KTM’s Marc Coma right after the start, and then maintain the same speed as Coma’s teammate and rival, Cyril Despres.
Speedbrain Husqvarna says: “The three riders (Coma, Despres, Barreda) rode a ridiculous speed all stage long, with Barreda eventually taking a convincing win. This proves two things: Barreda has the speed of the best rally pilots in the world. And the Speedbrain-developed Husqvarna rally bike is capable of victories.”
Speedbrain Husqvarna reports that Paulo Goncalves’ day also started well. The Portuguese had the virtual lead for the first 180 kilometres. A Husqvarna one-two was in the cards. But the Portuguese hit a hidden stone in the sinking sand, sending him violently over the handlebars. The bike was pretty damaged afterwards, luckily the rider was okay. Goncalves fixed the bike and went back into the race. He finally arrived at Arica 19:23 minutes behind his teammate.
Goncalves nevertheless defended seventh spot in the standings.
Jose Manuel Pellicer und Zé Hélio rode a steady stage. The Brazililan and the Spaniard are lying around the top 20.
2012 Dakar Rally: Stage 10 Results:
1. Joan Barreda (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 4:18:43 hrs
2. Marc Coma (SPA) KTM, 1:32 min behind
3. Cyril Despres (FRA) KTM, 3:39
4. Helder Rodrigues (POR) Yamaha, 5:16
5. Jordi Viladoms (SPA) KTM, 8:48
12. Paulo Goncalves (POR) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 19:23
19. Jose Manuel Pellicer (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 35:45
27. Zé Hélio (BRA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 42:47
2012 Dakar Rally Overall Standings (after Stage 10):
1. Despres, 33:07:39 hrs
2. Coma, 0:21 min behind
3. Rodrigues, 45:56
4. Viladoms, 1:18:52
5. Stefan Svitko (SVK) KTM, 1:24:38
7. Paulo Goncalves (POR) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 1:41:41
14. Joan Barreda (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 3:29:27
21. Zé Hélio (BRA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 4:48:22
22. Jose Manuel Pellicer (SPA), Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 4:49:06