Topeka AMA Arenacross | Preview
2012 AMA Arenacross
The AMA Arenacross Series rang in the New Year with a weekend full of excitement last weekend, and now, a tie atop of the Arenacross Class standings leads the storylines heading into this weekend’s series debut from Topeka, Kan., and the Kansas Expocentre.
Two nights of competition will leave a lasting impression in the Kansas capital, as current championship co-leader Tyler Bowers, aboard his Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki presented by Maxxis, and FMF Power/Poynt TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson lead the world’s best into action on Friday, Jan. 13, and Saturday, Jan. 14.
Last weekend in Grand Rapids, AMA Arenacross Series hosted its first round of the 2012 calendar. The fifth round of the season was highlighted by a dominant pair of efforts by Bowers over the course of two evenings.
The reigning AMA Arenacross Series champion swept the weekend’s main events to give him a series-leading six wins, and move into a tie with Gibson atop the point standings. Gibson also put forth a strong weekend of his own, following Bowers across the line each night with back-to-back runner-ups. A tip over while leading on opening night may have cost Gibson a win last Friday, but despite the mistake, he rebounded strongly to minimize the loss of points.
Both Bowers and Gibson have proven to be the class of the field through five rounds this season, and between the two, have won all but one of the nine main events. Now that they sit deadlocked in the championship, expect both riders to take their riding to even new heights, beginning this weekend at the Expocenter.
Topeka also serves as the hometown race for Auburn native Tanner Moore, who rides for Letko KTM. With just one round complete in the Western Regional Arenacross Lites Class Championship, Moore serves as the current points leader, holding just a one-point lead over Venning Motorsports KTM’s Kevin Markwardt.
The weekend serves as an ideal opportunity for Moore to extend his lead, and put forth a memorable effort in front of his family and friends. Additionally, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki’s Vicki Golden will begin her quest for even more history as she attempts to capture the Western Regional title. Golden returned to action for the first time in 2012 last weekend, after being forced to delay the start of her season because of a broken collarbone she suffered in preparations for the year. A lot of eyes will be on this pair of riders throughout the weekend.
Back-to-back nights of action from the Kansas Expocentre kick off on Friday, Jan. 13, before coming to a dramatic conclusion on Saturday, Jan. 14. Opening ceremonies for both nights begin at 7 p.m. CDT.
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 9 of 19)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki (6 wins) – 188
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda (2 wins) – 188
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki (1 win) – 167
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM – 143
- Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki – 127
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki – 117
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 115
- Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM – 93
- Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM – 74
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 59
Western Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 1 of 9)
- Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM – 15
- Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., KTM – 14
- Aviery Hickey, Southlake, Texas, Honda – 11
- Dalton Carlson, Dayton, Minn., KTM – 10
- Brandon Marley, McEwen, Tenn., KTM – 9
- Shawn Rife, Mechanicsburg, Ohio, Honda – 7
- Devin Reed, Indianola, Iowa, Honda – 6
- Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 5
Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 8 of 10)
- Michael McDade, Indiana, Pa., Kawasaki (1 win) – 156
- Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatcong, N.J., KTM (2 win) – 150
- Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM (3 wins) – 137
- Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki – 115
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM – 97
- Travis Sewell, Westfield, Ind., KTM – 91
- Austin Coon, Spencer, W. Va., Honda – 69
- Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM – 62
- Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 58
- Maxx Malatia, Itasca, Ill., Honda – 52
2012 Dash for Cash Winners:
- Des Moines – Zach Ames
- Baltimore Night One – Tyler Bowers
- Baltimore Night Two – Tyler Bowers
- Madison Night One – Willy Browning
- Madison Night Two – Jeff Gibson
- Wilkes Barre Night One – Tyler Bowers
- Wilkes Barre Night Two – Nathan Skaggs
- Grand Rapids Night One – Zach Ames
- Grand Rapids Night Two – Jeff Gibson
Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series returns for the 2012 season! To follow the intense racing action live, log onto Arenacross.com.Google+