2012 Victory Hard-Ball | Preview
2012 Victory Motorcycle
Victory’s tagline for its newest bike to hit the 2012 lineup, the Hard-Ball, says "Some things are just built to cross the line."
These leaves lingering speculation – exactly what line does the Hard-Ball cross? Is it crossing over the line leaning more towards baggers, or the line leaning more towards cruisers?
No matter what motorcyclists decide, there’s one thing not so debatable: it’s definitely one bad-ass machine. And it should be, considering its basically a baggified High Ball with over 21 gallons of cargo space, a different exhaust, a passenger seat and a huge safety-enhancing feature – Victory ABS.
And in typical High-Ball fashion, the 2012 Victory Hard-Ball arrives in one no-nonsense color – Matte Black with tasteful red pin stripping.
Powering the Hard-Ball is the 106 ci (1731 cc) Freedom V-Twin that produces an asphalt-ripping 97 horsepower and 109 ft. lbs. of torque. The motor features a single-overhead cam with four valves per cylinder and self-adjust cam chains with hydraulic lifters.
The 106 Freedom V-Twin breathes through modern Electronic Fuel Injection with dual, 45mm throttle bodies, and split dual exhaust with a crossover pipe for enhanced performance.
The Victory V-Twin is hooked to a 6-Speed overdrive transmission with "Neutral Selection Assist and helical-cut gears ensure every shift is as quiet and smooth as the one before."
The chassis design is similar to the High-Ball, but features a longer wheelbase (65.7 inches, up 0.9 inches), a higher seat (26.25 inches, up 1.25 inches) and more ground clearance (5.8 inches, up 1.1 inches).
Handling the suspension aspects of the 2012 Victory Hard-Ball is an inverted cartridge telescopic fork up front with a comfortable 5.1 inches of travel, and a single mono-tube air-adjustable setup out back that features 4.7 inches of travel.
Stopping the Hard-Ball is an ABS setup with dual 300mm floating rotor with four-piston calipers up front, with a 300mm floating rotor squeezed by a two-piston caliper out back.
Speaking of the ABS, Victory says "standard on the Hard-Ball, the Victory Anti-Lock Brake System doesn’t discriminate between dry, wet or rock-strewn pavement. ABS is not for sissies, it’s allowing you and your Hard-Ball to own the road more than anyone else. No matter the conditions, ABS monitors what the wheel is doing and gives you consistent, smooth braking from the handlebar lever down to the rubber on the road."
The 758-lbs. machine rolls on larger wheels than the 16-inch ones offered on the High Ball. The Hard-Ball arrives with "old-school lace design" 18-inch laced wheels with a red tire strip. And of course, it has those 15-inch ape hangers that keep the fists high to the sky. But the handlebars are adjustable, allowing the rider to pull them back jet-ski style for comfort.
The 2012 Victory Hard-Ball takes an the uniqueness of the High-Ball and adds some touring amenities, safety and comfort. Look for the new machine to reach Victory dealerships in February, 2012.
Following are the specs, color option and MSRP for the 2012 Victory Hard-Ball.
2012 Victory Hard Ball Specs:
- Type: 4-stroke 50° V-Twin
- Cooling System: Air / oil
- Displacement: 106 ci / 1731 cc
- Bore X stroke: 101 x 108 mm
- Compression Ratio: 9.4 : 1
- Valve Train: Single overhead camshafts with 4 valves per cylinder, self-adjusting cam chains, hydraulic lifters
- Fuel System: Electronic Fuel Injection with dual 45mm throttle body
- Fuel Capacity: 5.8 gal / 22 ltr
- Exhaust: Split dual exhaust with crossover
- Oil Capacity: 5.0 qts / 4.75 ltr
- Charging System: 48 amps max output
- Battery: 12 volts / 18 amp hours
- Primary Drive: Gear drive with torque compensator
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate
- Transmission: 6-speed overdrive constant mesh
- Final Drive: Carbon Fiber Reinforced Belt
- Length: 104.4 in/ 2652mm
- Wheelbase: 65.7 in/ 1670mm
- Seat Height: 26.25 in / 667 mm
- Ground Clearance: 5.8 in / 148 mm
- Rake / Trail: 29.0° / 5.6 in / 142 mm
- Dry Weight: 758Lbs / 345 Kg
- GVWR: 1360 lbs / 618 kg
- Handlebars: Ape Style Bars
- Storage: 21.3 Gallons
- Front Suspension: Inverted cartridge telescopic fork, 5.1 in/ 130 mm travel
- Rear Suspension: Single, mono-tube gas, Cast aluminum with constant rate linkage, 4.7 in/ 120mm travel, Air adjustable
- Brake System type: ABS
- Front Braking System Type: Dual 300mm floating rotor with 4-piston calipers
- Rear Braking System Type: 300mm floating rotor with 2-piston caliper
Wheels & Tires
- Front Tire: 130/70 B18 Dunlop 491 Elite II with Red Tire Strip
- Front Wheel: 18 X 3.5 in Black Spoked
- Rear Tire: 180/60 R16 Dunlop Elite 3 with Red Tire Strip
- Rear Wheel: 16 X 5.0 in Black Spoked
2012 Victory Hard Ball Color Option/MSRP:
- Matte Black with Red Pinstriping / $18,999