2012 Kawasaki Dual Sport
Light and agile, the 2012 KLX250S have everything needed for riders seeking dual-sporting fun – a reliable liquid-cooled engine, long-suspension travel and a chassis designed for ultimate maneuverability on those tight trails.The 249cc engine features the reliability of a 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor, which not only provides crisp throttle response, but also assists in high fuel economy (think almost 60 mpg).Further enhancing the KLX250S’ engine is electric start; this system is combined with Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR), which automatically lifts one of the exhaust valves at cranking rpm for reduced starting effort. The engine is hooked to a six-speed transmission geared for both the off-road terrain and highway speeds.Speaking of the KLX250S chassis, Kawasaki says its “straight-line stability is enhanced by a rigid square-section main frame, yet its short wheelbase gives it outstanding turning aptitude. Complementing the chassis is a lightweight aluminum swingarm employing a highly rigid D-shaped cross section. KX racing-type chain adjusters allow for precise chain adjustments.”Suspension travel is key to the function of the KLX250S, the machine featuring 10 inches of travel up front through the 43mm inverted cartridge-style front fork that features 16-way adjustable compression damping, and 9.1 inches of travel out back through the Uni-Trak linkage-type rear suspension that has 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping, providing 9.1-inches of wheel travel.The KLX250S’ overall chassis/suspesnion setup is enhanced by” 4mm-thick spokes in the 21-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels provide excellent rigidity for enhanced off-road durability. The KLX250S also stops hard, thanks to twin-piston calipers squeezing a 250mm semi-floating petal-shaped disc up front and a 240mm petal-shaped disc at the rear.”Finishing the KLX250S dual-sport package is a standard aluminum engine guard to protect its crankcase during off-road adventures, a custom seat filled with firm urethane, aggressive bodywork and a carefully chosen handlebar pull it all together for long, comfortable days on the road and off it.For those seeking dual-sport adventure, all under the $5,000 mark, the KLX250S is the have-it-all package, whether trekking the local trails or commuting downtown.Following are the highlights, specs, color option and MSRP for the 2012 Kawasaki KLX250S.2012 Kawasaki KLX250S Highlights:Engine
- Compact engine design is lightweight and high revving, with a broad torque curve
- Good mass centralization for superior handling
- Flat-top piston and pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio
- Lightweight piston, piston pin and connecting rod enable higher revs for maximum power
- Aluminum cylinder features electrofusion coating, which allows a tight clearance between piston and cylinder for greater horsepower and increased engine life thanks to superior heat transfer and lubrication retention properties
- A gear-driven engine balancer provides smooth power delivery from idle to redline
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow, to boost low-end torque while providing improved high-rpm breathing efficiency for more power
- 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor delivers the optimum amount of fuel at all rpm, resulting in improved throttle response, greater power and excellent fuel economy
- Meets strict CARB regulations, so it’s available in all 50 states
- Dual high-capacity, vertical-flow Denso radiators provide reliable and efficient engine cooling
- Radiators feature tightly packed cores and a fin design for excellent heat dispersion
- More consistent engine temperatures allow tighter engine clearances for quieter running and sustained power, while promoting longer engine life
- Cooling fan is powered by a shallow-footprint electric motor
- Quick and easy push-button starting
- Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR) automatically lifts one of the exhaust valves at cranking rpm, for reduced starting effort
- Secondary air system helps provide clean emissions
- USFS-approved spark arrestor lets the KLX™250S access designated off-road public riding areas
- Allows engine’s full potential to be used
- Provides excellent acceleration as well as relaxed highway cruising
- 43mm inverted cartridge fork offers excellent rigidity and consistent damping performance; 10.0-inch wheel travel means straight-line stability, great handling and a low seat height
- 16-way compression damping adjustment allows tuning for differences in rider weight and terrain
- 9.1-inches of rear wheel travel for straight-line stability, great handling and a low seat height
- Progressive linkage rate provides a smooth ride and excellent bottoming resistance
- The gas-charged remote-reservoir shock features 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping
- Lightweight, high-tensile steel for amazing rigidity
- No downtubes, for lower engine placement and lower center of gravity as well as ample ground clearance
- Lightweight, aluminum D-section swingarm is highly rigid and reduces unsprung weight
- KX racing-type chain adjusters allow precise adjustment to minimize drivetrain power losses
- Front and rear disc brakes offer impressive stopping performance
- Twin-piston caliper grips a 250mm petal-shaped disc up front
- 240mm rear petal-shaped disc for great power, feel and feedback
- Fat, 4mm spokes for greater off-road durability
- Tires with small tread blocks for longer tire life and increased grip on asphalt
- KLX-spec handlebar for a more relaxed position and effortless control
- Footpegs are positioned close to the bike’s centerline
- KLX-spec seat shape and foam make it easier to change seating position
- Narrow tank design gives riders maximum comfort and control without sacrificing capacity
- All-digital instrument console gives at-a-glance information, including a digital bar graph tachometer, digital speedometer, clock, and dual trip meters
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S Specs:
- Aggressive headlight and front fender design
- Two-piece radiator shrouds styled like the KX motocrossers
- Rear fender is a two-piece unit featuring a sharp taillight design that offers great visibility and further contributes to the KLX’s aggressive styling
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S Color Options/MSRP:
- Engine: Four-stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, four-valve single
- Displacement: 249cc
- Bore x Stroke: 72.0 x 61.2mm
- Compression ratio: 11.0:1
- Cooling System: Liquid
- Carburetor: Keihin CVK34
- Ignition: Digital CDI
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final drive: Chain
- Frame Type: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
- Rake/Trail: 26.5 degrees / 4.1 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 43mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with 16-Way Compression Damping Adjustment / 10.0 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-Trak with Adjustable Preload, 16-Way Compression and Rebound Damping Adjustment / 9.1 in.
- Front Tire Size: 80/100×21
- Rear Tire Size: 100/100×18
- Front brakes / rear brakes: 250mm semi-floating petal disc with two-piston hydraulic caliper / 240mm petal disc with single-piston hydraulic caliper
- Overall length: 86.6 in.
- Overall width: 32.3 in.
- Overall Height: 47.4 in.
- Seat height: 35.0 in.
- Wheelbase: 56.3 in.
- Ground clearance: 11.2 in.
- Fuel capacity: 2.0 gal.
- Curb weight: 297.7 lbs.
- Good Times Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
- Warranty: 12 Months
- Lime Green / $4,999
- Red / $4,999