2012 Star Motorcycle
For the rider who wants big-cruiser characteristics and a bit of touring amenities, all for under the $9,500, Star has you covered with the V Star 950 Tourer.
The 942cc 60-degree V-Twin may look like your regular air-cooled V-Twin, but it features much technology significant to the Star name: four-valve cylinder heads, ceramic-composite-lined cylinders, forged aluminum pistons, and of course fuel injection.The Star’s motor breaths through a tuned, 2-into-1 exhaust system with that big cruiser rumble, and also 3-way catalyst technology to reduce air pollution.The smaller 950 V-Twin is contained in a full-sized chassis with a 26.6-inch seat, the low seat height adding to the overall low look of the V Star Tourer. And like the motor, the chassis features much technology for optimal handling. Yamaha says "the carefully designed chassis contributes to an exceptionally light feeling riders are sure to appreciate. The double-cradle steel main frame offers an ideal rigidity balance in the longitudinal, lateral, and torsional directions, using the engine as a stressed member. With the engine mounting position slightly forward for optimum front-rear weight distribution and its large, 18-inch front wheel, V Star 950 Tourer has outstanding handling performance."And if you’d rather tour than cruise, the V Star 950 Tourer features leather-wrapped hard sidebags, a passenger backrest and a big-cruiser windshield. Following are the highlights, specs, color options and MSRP for the 2012 V Star 950 Tourer.2012 Star V Star 950 Tourer Highlights:Engine:
- The 57.5-cubic inch (942cc) engine is an air-cooled SOHC 60° V twin. With four valves per cylinder, a pent-roof shaped combustion chamber, and 9.0:1 compression ratio, this engine has been carefully designed to produce excellent power characteristics – and best-in-class acceleration.
- To keep friction loss to a minimum and help the engine achieve the ideal performance characteristics, special compact roller-type rocker arms with needle bearings are used. These also reduce top-end weight for excellent mass centralization.
- The combustion chamber shape was precisely engineered to direct the fuel air charge into the center of the piston for faster combustion and maximum power. Ceramic-composite-plated cylinders provide excellent heat dissipation and reduced oil consumption.
- High-quality forged aluminum pistons have a lightweight, high strength compact design that contributes to reduce vibration.
- The designers realized that the engine’s V twin character was so pleasing on its own that a counterbalancer was unnecessary. This also contributes to simplicity and less operating noise.
- Sophisticated fuel injection is used on the V Star 950 Tourer. The injectors are four-hole, two-directional types with spray aimed at the valve surfaces. That produces good fuel atomization for faster and more complete combustion which contributes to excellent drivability. The fuel injection system also adopts an ISC (Idling Speed Control) valve for outstanding idling stability.
- Lubrication is provided by a simple, reliable wet sump system.
- The 5-speed transmission is all new, with a smooth shifting feeling, and gear ratios spaced to let the rider take full advantage of the engine’s torque characteristics and enjoy comfortable cruising at highway speeds. Naturally, power is efficiently transferred to the rear wheel using simple, quiet belt drive.
- The engine’s look is highly detailed, with polished cylinder fins and beautifully chrome-plated cylinder head covers, for an exceptional appearance sure to be noticed.
- The V Star 950 Tourer achieves fuel economy up to an estimated 47 mpg* with a fuel tank that holds 4.5 gallons of gas.
- The steel double-cradle frame is long and low, contributing to the bike’s spacious 95.9-inch (2435mm) overall length and 66.3-inch wheelbase. That means a great ride to go along with the great looks.
- The seat height is a mere 26.6 inches off the pavement, one of the lowest around, and a fuel tank that’s made as narrow as possible where it meets the seat, it is easy for most riders to put both feet firmly on the ground.
- Fenders are real steel, front and rear. That adds to the quality look and feel, and makes customization easier.
- The big 18-inch front wheel helps deliver this cruiser motorcycle’s sporty handling characteristics and "Sport Classic" cruiser looks. The low-profile 130/70-18 tire is mounted on an 8-spoke lightweight aluminum wheel. The 170/70-16 bias ply rear tire adds a beefy look and helps transfer all that torque and power to the pavement.
- Large 320mm front and 298mm rear discs provide strong braking capacity with excellent feel.
- Front forks feature big 41mm tubes, and rear suspension is a bottom-link-type monocross shock. Settings are calibrated to deliver a plush ride that is increasingly firm as the suspension is compressed for good handling and comfort over bigger bumps in the road.
- The V Star 950 Tourer has a wonderfully light feel. Surprisingly, even though it has a full-size chassis, the bike weighs just 657 pounds wet, with a full tank of gas and all fluids.
2012 Star V Star 950 Tourer Specs:ENGINE
- The large-diameter meter is mounted on the fuel tank for a traditional look. Meter functions include speedometer, fuel level warning light, oil level warning light, and odometer with two trip meter functions, fuel trip meter, and clock display. The LCD display illumination can be adjusted using a right side handlebar switch.
- The V Star 950 Tourer is ready to roll out with a windshield, leather-wrapped hard sidebags, and a passenger backrest.
- Type: 57.5-cubic-inch (942cc) air-cooled 4-stroke, V-twin, SOHC, 4-valve
- Bore x Stroke: 85.0mm x 83.0mm
- Compression Ratio: 9.0:1
- Fuel Delivery: Fuel injection
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive: Belt
- Suspension / Front: Telescopic fork, 5.3-in travel
- Suspension / Rear: Single shock, 4.3-in travel
- Brakes / Front: Hydraulic disc, 320mm
- Brakes / Rear: Hydraulic disc, 298mm
- Tires / Front: 130/70-18M/C 63H
- Tires / Rear: 170/70-16 M/C 75H
- Wheels: 8-spoke cast
- Length: 95.9 in
- Width: 39.4 in
- Height: 42.5 in
- Seat Height: 26.6 in
- Wheelbase : 66.3 in
- Rake (Caster Angle): 32.0°
- Trail: 5.7 in
- Fuel Capacity: 4.4 gal
- Fuel Economy: 47 mpg
- Wet Weight: 657 lbs.
2012 Star V Star 950 Tourer Color Options/MSRP:
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
- Raven / $9,490
- Impact Blue / $9,490