BMW France 99 Wins 8 Hours of Albacete
FIM Endurance World Championship
Another milestone occurred for the BMW S1000RR, as the superbike topped the 8 Hours of Albacete in Spain this weekend with the BMW France 99 team at the controls.
The 8 Hours of Albacete, Round 2 of the 2011 Endurance World Championship (EWC), was won by the France 99 team by over a half of minute with Erwan Nigon, who set the tempo from the very beginning, and Sebastien Gimbert, both pilots of France.
BMW France was joined on the podium by the Yamaha Racing France GMT 94 Ipone of David Checa, Kenny Foray and Matthieu Lagrive and the Suzuki Endurance Racing Team (SERT) of Vincent Philippe, Freddy Foray and Daisaku Sakai.
With the victory, BMW France 99 moves into second place in the EWC championship standings, just two points behind SERT.
Volker Scheck (BMW France 99 Team Principal says: “We were expecting a good result in Albacete, but the victory exceeds all expectations. The bike was flawless throughout the entire race. I am delighted that we were able to present BMW Motorrad with the first World Championship win for the BMW S 1000 RR. It is nice to give something back after all the invaluable support.”
Erwan Nigon (BMW France 99 S1000RR) says: “To get this first victory for the team, BMW and Michelin is a great feeling. Particularly as they all worked so hard to make it possible.”
Sebastien Gimbert (BMW France 99 S1000RR) says: “I am delighted for the team, BMW and Michelin that we are able to celebrate our first win in the Endurance World Championship after one and a half years of hard work from all involved.”
The EWC continues at Suzuka, Japan, on July 31.
2011 8 Hours of Albacete Race Results:
1. BMW MOTORRAD FRANCE 99 (BMW S1000RR) – 306 laps
2. YAMAHA FRANCE GMT 94 (YAMAHA R1) – 306
3. S.E.R.T. (SUZUKI GSX-R1000) – 305
4. MONSTER YAMAHA – YART (YAMAHA R1) – 302
5. MACO RACING TEAM (YAMAHA R1) – 301
6. YMES FOLCH ENDURANCE (YAMAHA R1) – 299
7. VAN-ZON BOENIG MOTORS (BMW S1000RR) – 296
8. TEAM MOTORS EVENTS (SUZUKI GSX-R1000) – 295
9. NO LIMITS MOTOR TEAM (SUZUKI GSX-R1000 – 294
10. MCS RACING IPONE (SUZUKI GSX-R1000) – 292
2011 FIM Endurance World Championship points (after two of six rounds):
1. Suzuki Endurance Racing Team FRA (Suzuki GSX-R1000) 54
2. BMW Motorrad France 99 BEL (BMW S1000RR) 52
3. Yamaha Racing France GMT 94 Ipone FRA (Yamaha YZF-R1) 35
4. Team SRC Kawasaki FRA (Kawasaki ZX10R) 28
5. YMES Folch Endurance ESP (Yamaha YZF-R1) 25
6. National Motos FRA (Honda CBR1000RR) 22
7. Bolliger Team Switzerland SUI (Kawasaki ZX10R) 18
8. Team R2CL FRA (Suzuki GSX-R1000) 17
9. Monster Yamaha YART AUT (Yamaha YZF-R1) 16
10. Honda TT Legends GBR (Honda CBR1000RR) 15