2011 AMA Supercross
Following the conclusion of a tight 2011 AMA Supercross Championship, the Las Vegas Hard Rock Hotel & Casino held the annual year-end SX awards cermony at The Joint by Rogue Sunday.
For 2011, 20 awards were given out to industry personnel and riders, including the Supercross Class Champion given to this year’s winner, Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX450F).
This was Villopoto’s first SX-Class title; he earned the 2011 Supercross Championship after making it to the podium 12 times, which included seven wins.
Ryan Villopoto says: “It’s been an awesome season for me and the team. When I ended up getting hurt last year it was a bummer for sure and it made me question if it was worth coming back. I couldn’t get it done in the first two years, but I was able to finally get one for the team.”
Dave Prater (Director of AMA Supercross) says: “This was one of the most exciting seasons the sport has witnessed. Leading up into the final race in the Supercross class, we saw five different winners throughout the season and three riders sat within 12 points of the highly coveted world title.
“In both the Western and Eastern Regional Supercross Lites classes, we also saw several riders lining up for the Lites title with only a handful of points separating the field. I’d like to congratulate all of the riders, sponsors and teams for making the 2011 Monster Energy Supercross season a huge success.”
2011 AMA Supercross Award Recipients
- Rookie of the Year – Trey Canard (American Honda)
- Transport Driver of the Year – Ricky Jurado (DNA Shred Stix/Star Racing Yamaha)
- Fans Choice – Kevin Windham (GEICO Honda)
- Humanitarian of the Year – MX for Children – Accepted on behalf of MX for Children Director Brett Wise
- Rising Star – Ken Roczen (Red Bull KTM)
- Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Awards – 2011 Winners
- Team of the Year – TwoTwo Motorsports/Bel Ray Racing
- MMI Top Tech – 2011 Winners
- Supercross Class Champions Mechanic – Mike Williamson (Monster Energy Kawasaki)
- Team Manager of the Year – Dave Osterman (TwoTwo Motorsports/Bel Ray Racing)
- Road 2 Recovery Main Jet Award – Jimmy Button
- Western Regional Supercross Lites Class Champion – Broc Tickle (Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki)
- Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Champion – Justin Barcia (GEICO Honda)
- Dave Coombs Sr. Supercross Lites East/ West Shootout – Ryan Sipes (DNA Shred Stix/Star Racing Yamaha)
- C. E. Altman Lifetime Achievement – Johnny O’Mara
- Supercross Class Top Riders – Riders who finished 20th – 5th place overall
- Supercross Class Fourth Place – James Stewart (San Manuel Yamaha)
- Supercross Class Third Place – Ryan Dungey (Rockstar/Makita Suzuki)
- Supercross Class Second Place – Chad Reed (TwoTwo Motorsports/Bel Ray Racing)
- Supercross Class Champion – Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki)