Dodger Stadium SX: Red Bull KTM Report
2011 AMA Supercross
Red Bull / KTM rider Andrew Short finished ninth overall to earn his third consecutive top-10 finish in the 2011 AMA Supercross Championship Series.
This weekend marked the first-ever Supercross event held at the famous Dodger Stadium. The rider’s and fans enjoyed the new stop on the AMA Supercross tour that brought in a crowd of over 40,000 motorcycle enthusiasts.
Short had a great start to the day, qualifying ninh fastest in timed Supercross practice at Dodger Stadium. His quick practice time awarded him a decent gate pick in his heat. Unfortunately, he got a bad jump off the gate and rounded the first turn in 15th.
Thanks to years of Supercross experience he quickly maneuvered his way inside the top ten and was sitting in eight position at the end of the first lap. On lap three he passed JDR/J-Star KTM rider Tye Simmonds for seventh position and kept a consistent pace to qualify seventh into the main.
Short’s Red Bull/KTM teammate, Mike Alessi, had a decent heat starting in 8th position and maintaining that spot through the checkered flag.
Mike Alessi (Red Bull KTM Supercross) says: "After crashing last weekend and going to the LCQ, I was glad to have an easy heat race this weekend putting my KTM 350 SX-F into the main event."
The crowd was in high spirits as the riders lined up for the SX main event. Both Short and Alessi reported that the moisture was coming out in the soil and had made the track more slippery for the KTM motorcycles, which had changed some of the lines and jumps they were able to do in practice and the heats.
When the gate dropped Short came around the first corner in 8th position with Alessi a few spots back in 12th. On the second half of the track Short was passed by Ryan Villopoto (Rockstar Makita Suzuki) and dropped to ninth position as they crossed the finish line jump of lap one. The first half of the race was a nine-rider freight train with Shorty at the tail end of the pack.
On lap three, Short closed in on the 8th place ride of Austin Stroupe. After pressuring Stroupe for two laps he made a clean pass to gain the position and set his sights on Brett Metcalfe. It appeared that Short would catch Metcalfe as the race continued but pressure from Chad Reed caused Short to become defensive of his lines and lose time on Metcalfe. Reed was able to make the pass on Short with a couple laps to go. Short eventually finished the race in 9th. Alessi hung on to finish 17th.
Andrew Short (Red Bull KTM Supercross) says: "I’m disappointed that I wasn’t able to hold Reed off at the end of the race, but happy to still finish inside the top ten. This week I worked with Sebastien Tortelli and he gave some great race advice throughout the day. We also made a lot of progress to the bike which helped my performance in the main event. I am happy with the direction everything is going."
Next AMA Supercross event: Oakland, Calif. Jan. 29, 2011
2011 Supercross Class Results: Dodger Stadium Los Angeles
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
5. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C, Yamaha
6. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
7. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda
8. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
9. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
10. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha
2011 Supercross Class Season Standings (after round 3)
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 72
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 67
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 58
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda – 56
5. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda – 48
6. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 39
7. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM – 37
8. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C, Yamaha – 36
9. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha – 33
10. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda – 32