2011 Dakar Rally Video
For the third time in Dakar history, Marc Coma won the title, the KTM 450 Rally rider beating his nemesis Cyril Despres b 15:04 minutes. Coma also brought KTM their 10th Dakar victory.
In the actual final stage (13), the riders traveled from Cordoba to Buenos Aires through a 645-km link and a relatively short 181-km special, which finished at the Baradero racing track in the Argentinean capital.
The top three to win in the final stage on Saturday were Frans Verhoeven (Belgium, BMW) who took the win; he was followed by Helder Rodrigues (Portugal, Yamaha) and Jean De Azevedo (Brazil, KTM). Despres took fourth, Coma fifth.
Coma rode smartly, knowing he had the time on everyone for the overall win. As for third, it looked to be Chilean rider Francisco "Chaleco" Lopez; he was the only rider to remain within an hour of Coma and Despres throughout the second half of 2011 Dakar.
But he had some major issues during the final stage; he broke a rear shock absorber just 22 km from the end, and lost third overall to Rodrigues. Chaleco would have to settle for fourth, and fifth went to Juan Pedrero of Spain on yet another KTM Rally 450; he finished 3:07.03 seconds behind Coma.
2011 Dakar Rally Stage 13 Results
1. Frans Verhoeven, Belgium, BMW
2. Helder Rodrigues, Portugal, Yamaha at 00:05
3. Jean De Azevedo, Brazil, KTM, 26:04 at 00:05
4. Cyril Despres, France, KTM, at 00:44
5. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM at 2:16
2011 Dakar Rally Final Overall Results
1. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM
2. Cyril Despres, France, KTM, at 15:04
3. Helder Rodrigues, Portugal, Yamaha, 1:40:20
4. Chaleco Lopez, Chile, Aprilia,
5. Juan Pedrero, Spain, KTM at 3:07:03
6. Pal Anders Ullevalseter, Norway, KTM at 3:32:56
7. Jean De Azevedo, Brazil, KTM, 3:59:38
8. Ruben Faria, Portugal, KTM, at 4:13:01