2011 MotoGP Grid
With only two rounds remaining in the 2010 MotoGP Championship – Portugal and Valencia – next year’s grid appears to be complete with 17 riders.
There may be an 18th MotoGP rider if BQR-Inmotec finds a sponsor for their 800cc prototype GP motorcycle. BQR currently competes in the 125 Class and Moto2, and is based out of Spain. The team reports that Ivan Silva of Spain will pilot the BQR-Inmotec if a sponsor is found.
The newest rider to join MotoGP in 2011 will be 2010 Moto2 champion, Toni Elias. But this isn’t his first time in racing in MotoGP. The Spaniard competed with Tech 3 Yamah in 2005, Gresini Honda in 2006 and 2007, Pramac Ducati in 2008, and then back to Gresini Honda in 2009 before joining the inaugural Moto2 grid.
For 2011, Elias will ride with LCR Honda. The team’s current rider, Frenchman Randy de Puniet, will be moving to Pramac Ducati next year.
Here is the 2011 MotoGP lineup (as of Oct. 21):
- Ducati: Valentino Rossi and Nicky Hayden
- Yamaha: Jorge Lorenzo and Ben Spies
- Honda: Because a major sponsor has yet to be found for the new arrival, Casey Stoner, the Repsol Honda MotoGP team may consists of three riders: Stoner, Dani Pedrosa and Andrea Dovizioso.
- Suzuki: Down to one rider, Alvaro Bautista
- Tech 3 Yamaha: Colin Edwards and Cal Crutchlow
- Team Gresini Honda: Marco Simoncelli and Hiroshi Aoyama
- Team LCR: 2010 Moto2 Champion Toni Elias
- Pramac Ducati: Randy de Puniet and Loris Capirossi
- Paginas Amarillas Aspar Ducati: Hector Barbera
- Cardion AB Racing Ducati: Karel Abraham