Christophe Pourcel Ready to Win
SX Race Report
Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Christophe Pourcel must really like his adopted state of Florida as he claimed his second win of the season in the sunshine state this past Saturday at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium.
The victory also marked Pourcel’s fourth SX Lites win in as many races in Florida.
For the sixth straight week, Pourcel set the fastest time in qualifying practice giving him first gate pick in the second heat race. In his heat race, Pourcel easily handled the difficult track to take his fifth heat win of the season.
"I’m not really thinking about the championship at this point," said Pourcel. "I just want to come to every race ready to win. I have missed the win the last two races and it feels really good to get back up here again."
In the main SX Lites event Pourcel crossed the line third on the first lap and patiently bided his time before making a move for second on the sixth lap and then just one lap later taking the lead.
The French rider than began to pull away from the field before a mistake sent him to the ground. Fortunately, he had a large enough cushion to get back on his Kawasaki KXä250F, keep the lead and ultimately bring home the win extending his points lead to eight markers.
Dean Wilson was unable to race in Jacksonville as he continues to face immigration issues coming back from the Toronto Supercross Lites race.
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Points Standings | Jacksonville
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki, 134
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki, 126
3. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 102
4. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 95
5. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki, 80
6. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha, 77
7. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki, 71
8. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda, 54
9. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Yamaha, 49
10. Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Suzuki, 47
With the off-weekend for Easter this week, both Wilson and Tyla Rattray should be able to race in two weeks at Reliant Stadium in Houston, Texas while Christophe Pourcel looks for his 5th Supercross Lites win of the season. Photos by Frank Hoppen