GEICO Honda: Canard & Metcalfe Podium
Geico SX Report
The quartet of GEICO Powersports Honda riders participating in Saturday’s Monster Energy Supercross race at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium had their usual strong showing with a pair of podium finishes and two more fourth-place endings.
Supercross pro Trey Canard and Supercross Lites East standout Brett Metcalfe each finished third in their respective races, while teammates Kevin Windham and Justin Barcia were close behind, Windham taking fourth in the Supercross main and Barcia fourth in Lites action.
Canard has now claimed a spot on the podium at five consecutive events, all since being promoted from 250cc competition to the 450cc class six races ago.
After two wins in Supercross Lites West action, the young Oklahoman was called up to the top level of the sport to fill in for injured Honda rider Andrew Short when the tour came east.
Saturday night, Canard stayed near the front throughout the SX 20-lap main, once again going handlebar to handlebar with all the top riders.
Metcalfe had great start in his race and led the first six laps before getting passed by the top two riders in the championship points. But the experienced Australian kept up the challenge and claimed his second third-place result of his Lites East campaign.
"I came out of the gate, kind of tucked around the inside of the first corner and came out alongside Kelly Smith," Metcalfe said. "I was able to make the move over the triple and took the lead on the first lap. It was so awesome; I haven’t been in that position for a long time.
"I put my head down and charged some laps early. It was nice to bounce back from two weekends of frustration."
The strong finish for Metcalfe kept him alive in the SX Lites championship chase. He’s now fourth overall, 39 off the lead and seven behind teammate Barcia, who is ranked third.
For his part, Barcia ran well and was his usual aggressive self throughout the 15-lap main. His problems came at the start when he got bunched up with some mid-pack riders and was pushed back as far as 11th place.
Windham started his night exceptionally well and occupied second place for the entire first half of the event, but once the leaders caught up to lapped traffic his progress was thwarted and he fell back to fourth place. Overall, the popular 32-year-old remained fifth in the championship points.
AMA Supercross Race Results: SX Jacksonville
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
4. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
5. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
6. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
7. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
8. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki
9. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
10. Michael Byrne, Newnan, Ga., Yamaha
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Race Results: Jacksonville
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki
3. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
4. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
5. Jimmy Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
6. Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Suzuki
7. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda
8. Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Suzuki
9. Steven Clarke, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki
10. Justin Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Kawasaki
The AMA Supercross tour takes a weekend off for Easter before heading to Reliant Stadium in Houston for the 13th SX race of the 2010 season.