Hector Barbera on ‘Yellow’ for MotoGP
Hector Barbera is one of the six rookies who will be racing in MotoGP for the 2010 season. Barbera is riding one of the non-factory Ducati Desmosedicis this season for the Paginas Amarillas Aspar Team.
The Aspar Team also has riders in both the 125cc and Moto2 categories, so their racing operation is quite extensive. Barbera, the Spanish rider, finished the last of the MotoGP preseason testing at Qatar skeptical if he could break into the top 10.
He finished the test 13th fastest and behind three of the other rookies (Ben Spies, Hiroshi Aoyama and Alvaro Bautista). Barbera and the two rookies behind him will be working hard to find a little more go.
Hector Barbera Quote
"The evening started really well because I hadn’t been on track long before I started to match my times from the first day. I felt more and more comfortable on the bike and that allowed us to try some different things. It is always a drain on your time and energy because some things work and some don’t."
"Either way all these tests have enabled me to see things more clearly and understand the bike more," explained Barberá, who completed 74 laps on the second evening and was pleased with his times and consistency.
"The most important thing about this last session was that I set my best time riding alone. It is also positive that I did so many laps and stayed consistent on new and old tyres."
"Every time I get on the Ducati I improve a lot, but obviously the level is very high – you can make up ten positions with just half a second."
"The overall reflection of the pre-season is that it was short because six days is not a long time when everything is so new," he stated. "Anyway, we have met our initial objectives and I think we’re ready for the first race of the year."
"We have potential and I whilst don’t want to get ahead of myself I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think we could challenge for the top ten."
2010 MotoGP Test Times | Sepang 2 | Rookies in Bold
1. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha Team 2’00.271
2. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team 2’00.512
3. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati Marlboro Team 2’00.703
4. Colin Edwards (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech3 2’00.988
5. Ben Spies (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech3 2’01.014
6. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2’01.320
7. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Repsol Honda Team 2’01.439
8. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 2’01.478
9. Hiroshi Aoyama (JAP) Interwetten-Honda MotoGP 2’01.692
10. Alvaro Bautista (SPA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2’01.732
11. Randy de Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP 2’01.980
12. Marco Melandri (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 2’02.078
13. Hector Barbera (SPA) Aspar Team 2’02.080
14. Mika Kallio (FIN) Pramac Green Team 2’02.082
15. Aleix Espargaro (SPA) Pramac Green Team 2’02.367
16. Marco Simoncelli (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 2’03.689
Last year, Barbera finished second in the championship with 239 points to Hiroshi Aoyama’s 261 in the final year of 250 GP motorcycle racing. Barbera finished ahead of Marco Simoncelli with 231 and Alvaro Bautista with 218, both 2010 MotoGP rookies as well.