Trey Canard scores in Supercross Atlanta
SX Race Report
GEICO Powersports Honda riders Trey Canard and Brett Metcalfe turned bad luck in Indianapolis into podium finishes Saturday night in Atlanta in front of a jam-packed house at the Georgia Dome. Sometimes a week can make all the difference in the Monster Energy AMA
Canard, racing in the series’ top division for just the second time, took advantage of a strong start and other competitors’ mistakes to finish second. Metcalfe, who crashed in practice in Indy before rallying for a fifth place finish, remained patient during a wild Supercross Lites East race and finished in third.
Trey Canard Speaks… Supercross Atlanta
"It was a good week," said Canard, who was involved in three accidents last weekend in Indy. "I feel like I made some good improvements and it paid off. Right now I’m just kind of speechless with the whole thing."
Canard finished fifth in his heat race, which led to a choice starting spot in the main event. He bolted to the front of the pack once the gates dropped setting into third place in the running order.
"I started in the back last week and you saw where that ended," Canard said of his DNF. "I started in the front of the pack this week and you saw where that ended. The start is the most important thing."
Halfway through the race, eventual race winner Ryan Dungey was up on Ryan Villopoto with Canard trailing behind. Villopoto then shorted a jump and went over the handlebars, allowing Canard to ease into second position.
"I was shocked," Canard said. "I was so nervous and just in a daze the whole time. It was a good race for me. It was very smooth. I’m just so stoked right now it’s unreal."
GEICO Powersports Honda’s other Supercross rider, Kevin Windham, ran into trouble in the main event after starting the day on such a high note. Windham was the No. 1 qualifier and won his heat race. But on the third lap, Windham veered off-track and fell off his bike. He fell to last place but would rally to finish 14th on the day.
In the Lites race, Metcalfe and teammate Justin Barcia were key players in a wild race where they used polar opposite strategies. Barcia was an aggressor and Metcalfe took a more patient strategy.
Both started in the top five, but Barcia rushed to the front and challenged for the lead. Unfortunately he made an error heading into one of the tracks sharp corners and fell off his bike. With just three laps left, he ran out of time to atone for his misstep.
Metcalfe took advantage of Barcia and others’ mistakes and moved up the standings and into third.
Brett Metcalfe Speaks… Supercross Lites Atlanta
"This race reminded me of another race that was just as strange," Metcalfe said. "That race was about being patient, so I knew tonight to be very patient. I was just trying to make good smart moves."
Barcia (bar-sha) was undaunted despite seeing victory slip through his fingers.
Justin Barca Speaks… Supercross Lites Atlanta
"I had the bike to win tonight that’s for sure," said Barcia who finshed 17th. "The GEICO Powersports Honda team made a great adjustment right before the race that really helped my ride. I made a rookie mistake, but I learned so much tonight. I’m going to work extra hard this week and be ready to go."
2010 Monster Energy Supercross Season Standings | Round 8 | Atlanta
2010 AMA Supercross Race Results: Atlanta | Round 8
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
2. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
3. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
4. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
5. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
6. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
7. Michael Byrne, Noonan, Ga., Yamaha
8. Jason Lawrence, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
9. Grant Langston, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
10. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
2010 AMA Supercross Point Standings: Atlanta | Round 8
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 170
2. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 150
3. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 147
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 134
5. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 121
6. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 115
7. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 113
8. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 85
9. Michael Byrne, Noonan, Ga., Yamaha, 71
10. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 69
2010 Eastern AMA Supercross Lites Race Results: Atlanta | Round 8
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki
3. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
4. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki
5. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki
6. Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Yamaha
7. Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Suzuki
8. Jake Moss, Temecula, Calif., Suzuki
9. Levi Kilbarger, Logan, Ohio, Honda
10. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda
2010 Eastern Supercross Lites Point Standings: Atlanta | Round 8
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki, 50
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki, 44
3. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 36
4. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki, 33
5. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki, 26
6. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha, 24
7. Kyle Regal, Kemp, Texas, Yamaha, 24
8. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 23
9. Jake Moss, Temecula, Calif., Suzuki, 22
10. Nico Izzi, Albany, Ga., Yamaha, 22
The 2010 Montster Energy AMA Supercross Series next heads to the world center of speed, Daytona International Speedway on March 6.