Bridgestone test report Sepang test 2
Bridgestone MotoGP Report
During the two day test at the Sepang circuit, Bridgestone introduced two new specifications of slick tyre for testingand development purposes. In addition to the normal two day test allocation, each rider received one medium compound rear slick tyre that will replace last year’s version for this season, and one developmental specification front slick tyre which will help determine the future direction of Bridgestone’s tyre technology.
Every rider used the new rear slick tyre with the exception of San Carlo Honda Gresini’s Marco Simoncelli, who fell on Friday before he got the chance to try the new specification. Amid limited testing, it was an important opportunity for teams and riders to test the new tyre before its race debut, and the feedback was very positive with reports of improved edge grip and consistency.
By contrast, the new hard compound front slick tyre was an experimental test intended to direct Bridgestone’s fundamental development of future compound technology. One tyre was provided for every rider, but it was tested on-track by Fiat Yamaha’s Valentino Rossi, Monster Yamaha Tech3’s Colin Edwards, Repsol Honda’s Andrea Dovizioso, and Rizla Suzuki’s Loris Capirossi and Alvaro Bautista, all of whom recorded a significant amount of important data for Bridgestone.
Tohru Ubukata Speaks… Manager, Bridgestone Motorcycle Tyre Development Department
"This was a very valuable test for us as we were able to introduce and collect good feedback from two new specifications of tyre. The front tyre test especially was a very good study for our future development. I would like to thank all the teams and riders for being so wiling in their support and playing a crucial role in our tyre development."Both days of the test were dry and so the conditions improved throughout the two days. Our new medium compound rear tyre was used by most teams on the second day, and it was then that the times were fastest."
"Valentino recorded the best time, 0.3seconds faster than his qualifying record from last year and 0.7seconds faster than his best time at the previous Sepang test. The performance of our new rear tyre is even better than last year’s medium compound rear in terms of operating range, consistency and edge grip, and I am very confident about using it this season."
2010 MotoGP Test Times | Sepang 2
1. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha Team 2’00.271
2. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team 2’00.512
3. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati Marlboro Team 2’00.703
4. Colin Edwards (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech3 2’00.988
5. Ben Spies (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech3 2’01.014
6. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2’01.320
7. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Repsol Honda Team 2’01.439
8. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 2’01.478
9. Hiroshi Aoyama (JAP) Interwetten-Honda MotoGP 2’01.692
10. Alvaro Bautista (SPA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2’01.732
11. Randy de Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP 2’01.980
12. Marco Melandri (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 2’02.078
13. Hector Barbera (SPA) Aspar Team 2’02.080
14. Mika Kallio (FIN) Pramac Green Team 2’02.082
15. Aleix Espargaro (SPA) Pramac Green Team 2’02.367
16. Marco Simoncelli (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 2’03.689
Bridgestone slick compounds available: Front: Hard, Extra Harda and Rear: Medium, Hard
New slick tyres tested: Front: Hard future developmental spec and Rear: Medium 2010 specification
Weather: Thu: Dry, Fri: Dry. Ambient 29-34°C; Track 42-52°C (Bridgestone measurement)