Valentino Rossi tops MotoGP Sepang
Fiat Yamaha Test Report
Valentino Rossi continued from where he left off at the last test in Malaysia today, setting the fastest time once again on the first day of the second pre-season outing at Sepang. His Fiat Yamaha team-mate Jorge Lorenzo is not in action at this test as he is currently recovering at home in Spain from a hand injury.
It was a dry day in Sepang with temperatures reaching 37 degrees and 31-year-old Rossi made the most of it, completing 47 laps. He and his crew continued to work on the development of the 2010 YZR-M1 prototype, checking different settings and trying some new electronic maps. The Italian’s best time of the day was 2’01.068, just a fraction off his best time at the last test and 0.151 ahead of Casey Stoner in second place.
Valentino Rossi Speaks… 1st Time: 2’01.068 Laps: 47
“We started well today and we’re already very fast, so we’re quite happy about this. We’ve confirmed that the work we did at the last test was good and it’s clear we’re in good shape at this track. We worked on two or three different settings and today we’ve more or less made a decision about the right way to go with balance, suspension etc so this is good progress."
"We also tried some new electronic maps, to try to improve acceleration, but we need to do more work on this again tomorrow. It’s good to be fast at this stage and now we’re really just waiting to go to another track, to see how this new M1 will perform there. Tomorrow we will do a long run, maybe not race distance but just quite a few laps together, which will be the final part of our work at this track.”
2010 MotoGP Test Times (Day 1, Sepang 2)
1. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha Team 2’01.068
2. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team 2’01.219
3. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Repsol Honda Team 2’01.631
4. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2’01.687
5. Ben Spies (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2’01.843
6. Colin Edwards (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2’01.897
7. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 2’02.036
8. Mika Kallio (FIN) Pramac Racing Team 2’02.038
9. Alvaro Bautista (SPA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2’02.078
10. Marco Melandri (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 2’02.086
11. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati Marlboro Team 2’02.22
12. Hiroshi Aoyama (JPN) Interwetten-Honda MotoGP 2’02.419
13. Aleix Espargaro (SPA) Pramac Racing Team 2’02.447
14. Hector Barbera (SPA) Aspar Team 2’02.485
15. Randy De Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP 2’02.535
16. Marco Simoncelli (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 2’03.254