AMA Arenacross race results Des Moines
A raucous crowd filled Wells Fargo Arena on Saturday night as the AMA Arenacross Series provided a sneak preview of the 2010 season at the second annual Des Moines prequel race. With an $11,000 purse up for grabs, Babbitt’s Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., claimed the AMA Arenacross class victory while Storm Lake Honda’s Kurt McCabe, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa took the AMA Arenacross Lites win.
The race from Des Moines is a stand-alone race and is not part of the 2010 AMA Arenacross Series.
In a lineup that featured four former champions and a bevy of race winners, Triple Effect Kawasaki’s Gray Davenport, of Lehi, Utah, edged out Bowers and Funmart Cycle Center KTM’s Kelly Smith, of Ludington, Mich. for the holeshot. After putting pressure on Davenport for several laps, Bowers made his move for the lead and paced the field the rest of the way.
"(This) feels pretty good," said Bowers, who returns to the AMA Arenacross Series after a two-year stint in Monster Energy® Supercross. "Josh (Demuth) was there at the end and kept me honest but I just settled in and pulled away. I came out like a rocket ship off the line and settled into third, made a couple passes and maintained my pace."
North Richland Hills, Texas’ Josh Demuth and Rhinelander, Wis.’s Chad Johnson made it a clean sweep for the Babbitt’s Monster Energy Kawasaki on the AMA Arenacross class podium.
In the deep AMA Arenacross Lites field, local favorite Gavin Faith, of Fort Dodge, Iowa, grabbed the holeshot aboard his TiLUBE Motorsports Honda but fell just before the completion of the first lap, eliminating him from competition. Fellow Hawkeye state native McCabe took over the top spot and never looked back. The reigning AMA Arenacross Lites Central Region champion led all 18 laps of the main event to post a big win in front of his hometown fans.
"It feels awesome," exclaimed McCabe. "I got a good jump off gate. Unfortunately, Gavin fell. I was looking forward to having a good race with him. Once I got out front I just went from there."
Cory Green, of Nowata, Okla., captured the runner-up position while 2009 Arenacross Lites Midwest Regional champion Dave Ginolfi, of Lake Hopatlong, N.J., finished third.
The AMA Arenacross Series kicks off its 2010 season on January 8-10 from Grand Rapids, Mich.
AMA Arenacross Class Results, (Des Moines, Iowa)
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
2. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
4. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM
5. Teddy Maier, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Kawasaki
6. Jeff Gibson, Thornville, Ohio, Honda
7. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda
8. Robbie Reynard, Oklahoma City, Okla., Suzuki
9. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
10. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
AMA Arenacross Class Lites Results (Des Moines, Iowa)
1. Kurt McCabe, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Honda
2. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Kawasaki
3. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., Suzuki
4. Devon Pilkington, Virginia Beach, Va., Kawasaki
5. Nick Jackson, Zumbrota, Minn., Honda
6. Travis Merrill, Quincy, Ill., KTM
7. Brian Foster, Cameron Park, Calif., Honda
8. Devin Reed, Indianola, Iowa, Kawasaki
9. Ronnie Hapner, Nappanee, Ind., Kawasaki
10. Steven Squire, Indianapolis, Ind., Kawasaki