2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R & ZX-10R Preview
The Kawasaki Ninja turns 30 in 2015, and to celebrate, the Japanese manufacturer is releasing 30th Anniversary Editions of its ZX-6R and ZX-10R.
Over the past few years, the ZX-10R Ninja became a household name in World Superbike. And last year, it took its first World Superbike Championship since 1993 with Tom Sykes at the controls.
Besides the 30th Anniversary Edition graphic scheme, the ZX-10R received no upgrades for 2015. The liter bike was last upgraded in 2011, but due to its performance, no upgrades are needed (For proof, read our 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Review).
The 998cc ZX-10R is loaded with the latest in technology, from a three-level Sport-Kawasaki Traction Control setup to Ohlins suspension to an electronic steering damper (more details listed below).
As for the ZX-6R, it received a major overhaul in 2013. It may look like a 600, but the bike features an increase in stroke for a bump in displacement to 636cc.
Other features include three-mode KTRC traction control, selectable engine power modes, the Showa Big Piston Separate Function Fork (BP-SFF), monobloc radial-mount Nissin front calipers, radial-pump front brake, slipper clutch with a lighter pull, and race-inspired bodywork.
We loved this machine on both the track and the street. For more, read our 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Long Term Test Review.
Both the ZX-10R and ZX-6R are also available with KIBS ABS for $1000 over the standard version. Following is additional information on each bike, including the key features, color choices, and MSRP.
2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R (ABS) Key Features:
- Öhlins-Kawasaki electronic steering damper reacts to current speed as well as rate of acceleration and deceleration to vary the amount of damping force across a wide range of riding scenarios for ease of operation and optimal rider feedback
- Engine and chassis work together to allow for linear power delivery
- Sport-Kawasaki Traction Control (S-KTRC) continuously monitors wheel speed, throttle position, engine rpm and a host of other data to help ensure the optimal amount of traction without crossing over the razor’s edge of adhesion
- On ABS models, Advanced Kawasaki Intelligent Anti-lock Braking System monitors a wide range of data and enhances rider control
- Power Mode selector allows riders to select power level and power delivery to match riding conditions
- Aluminum frame has ideal strength and rigidity for maximum performance
- Big Piston Fork (BPF) helps maintain composure under braking and contributes to the fork’s light weight
- Horizontal back-link rear suspension helps deliver smooth suspension action with good road holding over a variety of pavement conditions
- Slipper-type back-torque limiting clutch helps prevent rear wheel hop under extreme deceleration and improves corner entry handling
- Race-oriented instrumentation offers riders a wealth of information at a glance
2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Color Options/MSRP:
- Metallic Matte Carbon Gray/Flat Ebony - $14,299 ($15,299 ABS)
- 30th Anniversary Lime Green/Pearl Stardust White – $14,599 ($15,599 ABS)
2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (ABS) Key Features:
- Class-leading Supersport performance and styling delivers an abundant dose of street potency
- 636cc inline-four offers racetrack-ready power yet extremely flexible delivery on the street
- Selectable engine power modes allow riders to adjust power delivery to riding conditions
- Three-mode KTRC traction control puts the power to the pavement whether it’s dry and grippy or rain-slick
- Showa Separate Function Fork – Big Piston (SFF-BP) offers light weight, easy adjustability and smoother initial suspension tracking
- ON ABS models, Supersport-grade KIBS ABS provides maximum stopping performance, with added peace of mind
- Nissin one-piece “monobloc” radial-mount front brake calipers and radial-pump front brake master cylinder offer superb braking modulation with a direct feel at the lever
- F.C.C. clutch with assist function offers light clutch pull and strong clamping force for less clutch slippage under acceleration while slipper function minimizes wheel chatter caused by aggressive downshifting
- Aggressive styling and sharp, aerodynamic bodywork clearly shouts: “Performance Counts!”
- Lightweight twin-spar aluminum frame places the engine in the optimum position for superb handling and rider feedback and also features a 23.5-degree rake angle for quick steering response, maximum maneuverability and to deliver clear communication from the front tire
- Reduced friction steering stem seals for easy steering inputs and noticeably improved low speed handling
2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Color Options/MSRP:
- Metallic Matte Carbon Gray / Flat Ebony: $11,699 ($12,699 ABS)
- 30th Anniversary Lime Green / Pearl Stardust White: $11,999 ($12,999 ABS)