2019 Kawasaki Z400 ABS First Look
Kawasaki unveiled the bike Tuesday at EICMA Milan Motorcycle Show, and we have all the details. Following are the fast facts about the 2019 Kawasaki Z400 ABS.
1. Kawasaki transplanted its Ninja 400 engine into a naked chassis. The 399cc parallel twin produces 28 ft/lbs of torque at 8000 rpm, and is paired with a close-ratio six-speed transmission with a slipper clutch.
2. Like the Z900 models, Z650 and Z125, the Z400 uses a steel trellis frame for optimal rigidity and lightweight handling. The engine is rigid-mounted in the frame and is used as a stress member for better handling.
3. Sticking with Supersport intentions, the Z400 has a short 53.9-inch wheelbase and lower center of gravity for sharper handling.
4. The 2019 Kawasaki Z400 has a wet weight of 368.1 pounds. This light weight was achieved through slimming down the weight of not only the engine and frame, but also the slimmer seat, wheel and heat management designs.
5. Suspension duties are handled by a 41mm front fork (non-adjustable) and rear shock with five-way preload adjustability. The Z400 has 4.7 inches of wheel travel up front, and 5.1 inches out back.
6. Stopping the 2019 Z400 is a 310mm front disc squeezed by a two-piston Nissin caliper, and a single rear 220mm disc squeezed by a two-piston caliper. Nissin ABS is standard.
7. The 17-inch five-spoke cast wheels were designed with input from the Kawasaki World Superbike team. The wheels are shod in 110/70 rubber up front, and 150/60 out back.
8. To accommodate a wide selection of riders, the Z400 features upright styling with a relaxed rider triangle. The handlebars are wide, and the aluminum footpegs are positioned more forward than the sportbikes like the Ninja ZX-6R and ZX-10R.
9. The cockpit was designed for cleanliness and easy reading of the instruments. The Z400 borrows the design from the Z650, and features a gear position indicator stacked vertically between the new large analog tach and LCD instrumentation display.
10. LED headlights and taillight are standard.
11. The 2019 Kawasaki Z400 ABS is available in two colors: Candy Lime Green / Metallic Spark Black and Candy Cardinal Red / Metallic Flat Spark Black. The price is set at $4,799 (MSRP).
2019 Kawasaki Z400 Specs:
- Type: 4-stroke, 2-cylinder, DOHC, liquid-cooled
- Displacement: 399cc
- Bore x Stroke: 70.0 x 51.8mm
- Compression ratio: 11.5:1
- Power: 28.0 lb-ft @ 8,000 rpm
- Fuel System: DFI® with 32mm throttle bodies
- Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
- Transmission: 6-speed, return shift
- Final Drive: Sealed chain
Chassis & Suspension:
- Frame: Trellis, high-tensile steel
- Front Suspension/Wheel Travel: Telescopic fork/4.7 inches
- Rear Suspension/Wheel Travel: Uni-Trak® swingarm/5.1 inches
- Front Tire: 110/70-17M/C 54H
- Rear Tire: 150/60-17M/C 66H
- Front Brake: 310mm Single disc
- Rear Brake: 220mm Single disc
Dimensions & Capacities
- Wheelbase: 53.9 inches
- Rake/Trail: 24.5°/3.7 inches
- Overall Length: 78.3 inches
- Overall Width: 31.5 inches
- Overall heigth: 41.5 inches
- Ground Clearance: 5.7 inches
- Seat Height: 30.9 inches
- Curb Weight: 363.8 lbs**
- Fuel Capacity: 3.7 gal