2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR and Factory |
11 Fast Facts
The 2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR and Factory editions have a host of important updates. Though most of them are software, there are also some significant mechanical changes to the two naked beasts.
1. The Tuono V4 1100 motor revs 500 rpm higher. Putting out 175 horsepower, and still meeting Euro 4 emissions standards, the updated ECU has a higher rev limit. To make this possible, the piston pins have a DLC surface treatment, while the connecting rod heads have surface honing treatment, plus there’s a new exhaust system.
2. The Factory’s shock is the same as the 2017 RSV4 superbike. Look in the back and you’ll see a fully adjustable Öhlins STX shock.
3. Front braking for both Tuono V4 1100s is the same as the new RSV4. The steel discs are now an incredible 330mm in diameter, and feature Brembo M50 Monoblock calipers, with radial mounting of both the calipers and the master cylinder.
4. The Tuono’s new Bosch ABS software includes Cornering ABS. In addition to the standard ABS, the new Tuonos get Cornering ABS for the ultimate in braking safety. If the rear wheel comes up, Aprilia’s Rear Liftup Mitigation system chimes in to keep the height down. Also, the latest Cornering ABS works with all three engine power maps.
5. The Tuono V4 1100’s traction control is adjustable on the fly. You get eight levels of traction control, as well as off. The software has been updated for more precise control of the rear wheel.
6. Wheelie control is also adjustable on the fly. In this case, there are three levels of intervention, along with off. The throttle doesn’t have to be closed for changes to be made, but we’re going to suggest you don’t try it mid-wheelie.
7. The quickshifter now works for clutchless upshift and downshifts, both without shutting off the throttle. That’s the latest technology and the Aprilia Tuono V4 1100s have it.
8. Cruise control means you can turn the 2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 RR and Factory into sport-touring bikes.
9. Track riders will appreciate updated launch control, and the new pit lane speed limiter. There are three launch control settings, and they have improved software for more effective operation. The speed limiter is adjustable, and you can use it to restrict your speeds in town so you don’t have an unscheduled meeting with a police officer.
10. Each 2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 gets its own tires. The RR will have Pirelli Diablo Rosso III rubber, while the Factory gets Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa tires. The Factory has a 200/55 tire in the back, compared to the 190/55 on the RR.
11. The new dash is full-color TFT. If that’s not enough, as an option you can get a V4-MP dash that connects to your smartphone and provide extensive data acquisition.
Without any doubt, the two new 2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100s remind us that technology is on the march.