2017 Victory Octane Preview – Modern Musclebike
Remaining true to its high-performance cruiser roots, Victory Motorcycles has launched yet another all-new model – the 2017 Victory Octane.
The concept of the bike derives from the classic muscle car idea – stuff a powerful engine into a lightweight chassis, and strip the bike down to the bare necessities. The Octane is the new definition of a muscle bike – and the design is completely fresh, including the new 1200cc V-twin engine developed from the Project 156 bike used at Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, and an all-new chassis.
The 60-degree V-twin features liquid cooling – a first for Victory – overhead cams and four-valve heads. The engine engine is able to rev over 8000 rpm and creates a max of 104 horsepower – the most of any Victory motorcycle.
At just 528 lbs., Victory’s most power engine is combined with Victory’s lightest motorcycle ever built to produce the modern musclebike. And at a price of $10,499, the Victory Octane is affordable within its class that features bikes like Harley-Davidson’s Sportster and the Indian Scout Sixty.
Speaking of the Victory Octane’s engine, the Polaris-owned company says “An electronically metered 60mm throttle body feeds high-flow, 4-valve heads operated by dual overhead cams, and liquid cooling quenches the heat that is the byproduct of generating 104 horsepower and 76 foot-pounds of tire-shredding torque. Geared short for quicker acceleration, Octane can sprint down the quarter-mile in 12 seconds and rush from 0-60 mph in less than four seconds. With the heart of a racer, Octane has power to burn.”
The frame is equally as a sporty, featuring a tight 62.1-inch wheelbase and 32 degrees of lean angle. The chassis was designed with sport-intentions in mind. The Octane’s solid-mounted engine is also a stress member that connects to the cast-aluminum front and rear frame sections. For added strength, the frame features twin tubular-steel backbones.
Front suspension duties are handled by a 41mm front fork equipped with “dual-rate springs for solid front-end feedback over any type of pavement.” Out back the Victory Octane features “laydown shocks” that are mounted 53 degrees off-horizontal; the shocks feature preload adjustment and dual-rate springs.
Stopping Victory’s sporty musclebike are 298cc discs brakes – one up front and out back – that utilize stainless-steel brake lines. The Octane rolls on cast-aluminum, 10-spoke wheels – 18-inch front with a 130/70 18 tire, and 17-inch rear with a 160/70 17 tire.
The solo seat sits just 25.9 inches from the pavement, and the Victory Octane features a low pullback handlebar and semi-forward foot controls to create “a riding position that looks properly badass but still provides adequate support when the rider grabs a big handful of throttle and the bike wants to rocket off the line.”
Besides the blacked-out styling and Matte Super Steel Gray bodywork and paint, the muscular styling is further enhanced with a sportbike-inspired bullet cowl that “improves airflow over the rider at the triple-digit speeds Octane is built to achieve.”
Speaking of the Octane, Victory says “With unexpectedly low weight and lots of available lean angle, a well-ridden Octane will embarrass many replica-racers down a twisty stretch of pavement. And with pricing starting at just $10,499, it’s less expensive than most supersports—and tougher looking, too. Fast, capable, stylish and affordable, Victory’s Octane is the formula for the Modern American Musclebike.”
For additional information, visit Victory Motorcycles.
2017 Victory Octane Specs:
- Engine: Liquid-cooled 60° V-twin
- Valve Train: DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
- Displacement: 1179.3cc
- Bore x stroke: 101 x 73.6mm
- Compression ratio: 10.8:1
- Horsepower: 103 HP/77 KW @ 8000 RPM
- Torque: 76 ft/lbs @ 6000 RPM
- Fuel System EFI: with single 60mm throttle body
- Exhaust: Dual slash-cut mufflers with common volume
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate
- Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/belt
- Frame: Cast-aluminum semi-double-cradle with tubular-steel backbones
- Front Suspension: 41mm damper-tube forks with dual-rate springs; 120mm travel
- Rear Suspension: Twin shocks with dual-rate springs, adjustable for preload; 76mm (3.0 in) travel
- Lean Angle: (SOFT) 32 degrees
- Front Brake: Twin-piston caliper, 298mm disc, ABS standard
- Rear Brake: Single-piston caliper, 298mm disc, ABS standard
- Front Tire: 130/70-18 63H
- Rear Tire: 160/70-17 76H
- Front Wheel: 18 X 3.5-in. cast, 10-spoke
- Rear Wheel: 17 X 4.5-in. cast 10-spoke
- Rake/Trail: 29.0°/ 129.5mm (5.1 in)
- Wheelbase: 1578mm (62.1 in)
- Seat Height (laden): 658mm (25.9 in)
- Fuel Capacity: 3.4 gallons
- Oil Capacity: 4.5 quarts
- Curb Weight: 528 lbs.
- Warranty: 5 year promotional warranty (specific conditions apply)