2016 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 Exposed/Photos
Harley-Davidson launched its Dark Custom lineup in 2008 in hopes of garnering new customers, the raw and blacked-out bikes targeting the crowds aged 18-34. Highlighting the then-new Dark Custom line was the Cross Bones and the Night Train, both Softail models.
These Dark Custom models were an immediate hit, and others followed including one that spoke to the entry-level rider – the Harley-Davidson Iron 883. Since its introduction in 2009, the Iron 883 was the main choice for customers entering the world of Harley-Davidson motorcycle .
The Motor Company never diced the Iron 883 from the lineup, but it receives a bold revision for 2016. The inspiration was taken directly from the “garage-built bobbers past and present,” and the 2016 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 features clipped fenders, blacked-out powertrain and exhaust, drag-style handlebars, a solo tuck-and-roll seat cover, ribbed air cleaner cover, and bullet-hole details on the belt guard, exhaust shields.
The 2016 Iron 883 also receives the upgrades applied to the entire 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster lineup, including a new catridge-style fork and “emulsion rear shock absorbers with progressive-rate springs and a threaded pre-load adjustment collar that makes it easy for the rider to dial in shock performance to match road conditions or passenger weight.” A special shock adjustment spanner stows under the seat.
“It’s always been my vision that this bike will look better with some dirt or patina,” said Harley-Davidson Senior Stylist Dais Nagao, who led the Iron 883 design project. “It’s quick and nimble and encourages the rider to be aggressive. As it’s ridden it may get some scuffs, scratches or other character marks. We can’t do that at the factory. That’s the privilege of the owner, and becomes part of the story of the bike.”
The 2016 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 is offered in four color options: Charcoal Satin, Black Denim, or Olive Gold with an eagle-and-shield tank logo, or Hard Candy Custom Gold Flake with a flame detail paired with black fenders. Prices start at $8,849, with the Hard Candy Custom starting at $9,299.
2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 – What’s New
- Emulsion technology rear shocks with 50 mm range of pre-load adjustability and an under-seat, rear shock suspension adjustment wrench
- Front forks with cartridge dampening technology
- Optimized solo seat design with filler components for all-day comfort and Bobber tuck and roll style
- Three paint color options selected for urban practicality and one Hard Candy Custom color
- Eagle and Iron Shield graphics
- Bullet-hole design details in exhaust header shield, blacked-out belt guard, and front fender trim
- Black, 9-Spoke Cast Aluminum wheels with Machined highlights, 19-inch front, 16-inch rear
- Blacked-out floating brake rotor
- Blacked-out, stamped, air cleaner cover
- Blacked-out mufflers and muffler shields
2016 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 Specs:
- Engine: Air-cooled, Evolution
- Displacement: 53.9 cu. in. (883 cc)
- Engine Torque: 53.8 ft. lbs. @ 3750 RPM (73 Nm @ 3750 RPM)
- Transmission: 5-speed
- Length 85.8 in. (2180 mm)
- Seat Height 28.9 in. (735 mm)
- Fuel Capacity 3.3 gal. (12.5 L)
- Dry Weight 540 lbs. (245 kg)
- Black, Split 9-Spoke Cast Aluminum with Machined Highlights
- Front: Scorcher “31” 100/90B19 57H
- Rear: Scorcher “31” 150/80B16 77H