2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Results
By Tom Wera
Spoiler Alert: 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross results from Chase Field, Phoenix, listed below.
Two rounds, two different winners. The 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Championship is already living up to the excitement that was building in the off season.
And on Saturday at Chase Field in Phoenix, this season’s most talked-about rookie – Muscle Milk Honda’s Justin Barcia – took the win. The 250 Supercross Champion was joined on the Phoenix SX podium by the reigning SX Champion, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, and last week’s winner at Anaheim I, Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Davi Millsaps.
When the race began before over 50,000 spectators, Barcia took the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot, followed by Millsaps and Two-Two Motorsport Honda’s Chad Reed.
Villopoto was in fourth, but spun out, moving back to eighth. By lap 11, Barcia’s teammate Trey Canard made it through the field, passing Reed for third. Three laps later, Canard would pass Millsaps for second.
As Barcia was out front, Villopoto rebounded, moving into fourth on lap 13. He then took Millsaps for third on lap 15. Villopoto engaged in a battle with Canard, but on the last lap Canard crashed. This allowed Villopoto, Millsaps and Reed to pass him.
Barcia would take the win, becoming the 56th different winner in 450 SX history, followed by Villopoto, Millsaps, Reed and Canard. As for Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart, he finished seventh, followed by Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey.
With his third-place finish, Millsaps retains the overall points lead after two of 17 rounds. He currently has 45 points, and leads Barcia by six points. Canard is in third, seven points behind Millsaps.
Justin Barcia (Muscle Milk Honda’s Trey Canard) says: “I can’t tell you how excited I am right now. I didn’t think this win would come so soon. I kept it smooth out there, but the track was super slick. It was a great night for me.”
GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac won his second consecutive Western Regional 250SX Class Main Event and now has a six-point lead in the season point standings.
Lucas Oil/Troy Lee Designs/Honda’s Jessy Nelson earned the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award in the 250SX Class Main Event, leading Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Martin Davalos, of Ecuador, and GEICO Honda’s Zach Osborne, who followed in second and third, respectively, through the first turn. On the opening lap, Davalos, who suffered a frightening crash in his Heat Race earlier in the evening, moved into the lead, Feld Motor Sports says.
After a fifth-place start, Tomac made his way to second place and passed Davalos on Lap 7 en route to his ninth 250SX Class race win with a 10.193 second margin of victory. Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen, of Germany, passed Davalos on the last lap to secure the runner-up spot. Davalos held on for a season-best third place, Feld Motor Sports says.
Eli Tomac (GEICO Honda CRF250R) says: “I am totally stoked. I am now two-for-two this season, and to get a win here in Phoenix is huge because I have a lot of family and friends here. I haven’t had a lot of great races here in the past, so picking up the win is awesome.”
Monster Energy Supercross continues Saturday, Jan. 19, at Angels Stadium in Anaheim, Calif.
2013 Phoenix AMA Supercross 450SX Class Results:
1. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Honda
3. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
4. Chad Reed, Australia, Honda
5. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
6. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
7. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki
8. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
9. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
10. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha
2013 AMA Supercross Class Points (after two of 17 rounds):
1. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki – 45
2. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 39
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda – 38
4. Chad Reed, Australia, Honda – 36
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 33
6. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 31
7. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Honda – 27
8. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda – 27
9. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki – 27
10. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha – 21
2013 Phoenix Western Regional 250 Supercross Class Results:
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda
2. Ken Roczen, Germany, KTM
3. Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Kawasaki
4. Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda
5. Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda
6. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda
7. Ryan Sipes, Ekron, Ky., Suzuki
8. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha
9. Joey Savatgy, Thomasville, Ga., Honda
10. Christian Craig, Wildomar, Calif., Honda
2013 AMA Supercross Western Regional 250Class Points
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 50
2. Ken Roczen, Germany, KTM – 44
3. Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda – 38
4. Ryan Sipes, Ekron, Ky., Suzuki – 29
5. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda – 29
6. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha – 23
7. Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki – 22
8. Max Anstie, England, Suzuki – 22
9. Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Kawasaki – 21
10. Joey Savatgy, Thomasville, Ga., Honda – 20