2013 Honda CBR 600 RR (C-ABS) | Preview
2013 Honda CBR600RR
When Honda released the CBR600RR in 2003, the Japanese motorcycle manufacturer had one goal in mind – win races.
And this arrived very quickly for the CBR600 RR; since its introduction in 2003, Honda took eight World Supersport titles, and dominated the former AMA Formula Xtreme class.
With such a dominate product, there wasn’t much to change on the CBR600RR. Besides styling changes, the last major revision arrived in 2009, when Honda updated the fairings a bit, and tweaked the motor for a three-percent increase in torque.
But without change, things can get stale quickly. Due to this, and receiving much competition from the Kawasaki KX-6R, the Yamaha YZF-R6 and the Suzuki GSX-R600, Honda decided it was time for some revision.
Enter the 2013 Honda CBR600RR, which was unveiled at EICMA 2012 in Milan. The bike receives some improved performance due to a tweaked ECU and relocated ram-air system, a new fork and MotoGP-inspired bodywork. Honda also threw in an extra treat by offering the sportbike in Repsol MotoGP livery, and also a white/blue/red scheme similar to 2012 Honda World Superbike team colors.
Starting with the induction, Honda relocated the ram-air intake system to a more central location for more optimal results. Honda also recalibrate the ECU and Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-DSFI) settings for additional mid-range power and enhanced throttle response out of the 599cc DOHC inline four.
The other big news is new suspension components. Up front, gone is 41 mm inverted HMAS cartridge fork. In its place is Honda’s 41mm Big Piston Fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustablility. Out back, the Unit Pro-Link HMAS single shock gets a revised setup for improved performance.
Honda also restyled the CBR600RR’s bodywork, taking inspiration from the MotoGP’s Repsol Honda RC213V. Besides offering more aerodynamics, the new bodywork also brings a racier look to the CBR600RR.
For 2013, C-ABS (linked) is again offered as an option. But in the tradition of Honda, only one color is available with Honda’s C-ABS – Red.
Following are the highlights, specs, and color options for the 2013 Honda CBR600RR. The MSRP wasn’t released as of this writing, but it should be close to 2012’s asking price of $11,540 ($12,540 with C-ABS).
2013 Honda CBR600RR (C-ABS) Highlights:
- Redesigned, centrally located ram-air intake system and improved ECU and PGM-DSFI setting deliver more power in the midrange and enhanced throttle response in the high-rpm range.
- New 41mm Showa Big Piston Fork (BPF) features a larger damper piston that generates damping forces at lower internal pressures to allow for smoother, more responsive fork action. Adjustable for spring preload plus compression and rebound damping adjustability.
- Unit Pro-Link rear suspension features a revised shock with new damper settings for improved overall performance.
- Using knowledge gained from the Honda RC212V MotoGP race program, aerodynamic improvements were made to this newest CBR600RR, which shows a 6.5 percent decrease in drag over the previous model. The development and testing used with this all-new CBR600RR bodywork, in turn, led to aerodynamic advancements that have been incorporated into the current RC213V MotoGP racing machine.
- This newly found aerodynamic efficiency lends itself to more agile handling and improved wind deflection for enhanced rider comfort.
- Repsol Edition racing colors available for the first time ever on the CBR600RR (standard model only).
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Honda Genuine Accessories: Sportscreen, Color-Matched Passenger Seat Cowl, Carbon Fiber-Look Rear Fender, Carbon Fiber-Look Exhaust Pipe Cover, Carbon Fiber-Look License Plate Frame, Carbon Fiber-Look Tank Trim, Carbon Fiber-Look Fuel Lid Cover, Racing Sticker Kit, Racing Cover
2013 Honda CBR600RR (C-ABS) Specs:
- Engine Type: 599cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder
- Bore and Stroke: 67.0mm x 42.5mm
- Compression ratio: 12.2:1
- Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
- Induction: Programmed Dual Stage Fuel Injection (PGM-DSFI) with 40mm throttle bodies, Denso 12-hole injectors
- Ignition: Computer-controlled digital transistorized with 3-D mapping
- Transmission: Close-ratio six-speed
- Final Drive: #525 O-ring-sealed chain
- Front Suspension : 41mm inverted Big Piston Fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; TBD inches travel
- Rear Suspension: Unit Pro-Link HMAS single shock with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 5.1 inches travel
- Front Brakes : Dual radial-mounted four-piston calipers with full-floating 310mm discs
- Rear Barkes: Single-caliper 220mm disc
- Optional Honda Electronic Combined ABS (only available on Red model)
- Tires Front: 120/70ZR-17 radial
- Rear: 180/55ZR-17 radial
- Wheelbase: 53.9 inches
- Rake (Caster Angle): 23.5°
- Trail: 97.7mm (3.9 inches)
- Seat Height: 32.3 inches
- Fuel Capacity: 4.8 gallons, including 0.9-gallon reserve
- Estimated Fuel Economy: TBD
- Curb Weight: 410 pounds (CBR600RR) / 432 pounds (CBR600RRA)
2013 Honda CBR600RR Color Options / MSRP:
- Repsol Edition / TBD
- Red / TBD
- White/Blue/Red / TBD