It’s been a busy couple of months for BMW Motorrad. The Bavarian motorcycle manufacturer has been unveiling many new models, such as the revamped line of GS motorcycles – the R1200GS, the F800GS and the all-new F700GS.
But besides revamping its adventure offerings, BMW has also released a new model to replace the F 800 ST in its mid-range sport touring lineup – the F 800 GT.
Besides the new full-fairing and redesigned windscreen, the upgrades to this “Gran Turismo” are not only aesthetics. The F800GT receives a five-horsepower increase from its 798cc water-cooled parallel twin, the engine now featuring 90 base horsepower at 8,000 rpm. Also, the belt-driven F 800 GT arrives with standard ABS, and optional Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA).
And if the stock exhaust isn’t liked, BMW offers an upgraded Akrapovic sports silencer as an optional accessory. Made of titanium and stainless steel it enables a weight reduction of approximately 3.7 lbs as compared to the standard rear silencer.
Following is an overview of the BMW F 800 GT’s technical features:
- Increased power of the F 800 GT as compared to predecessor model. 66 kW (90 bhp) at 8,000 rpm. (F 800 ST: 62.5 kW (85 bhp) at 8,000 rpm).
- Newly designed fairing and windshield with improved wind and weather protection and new paint finishes.
- The latest generation of BMW Motorrad ABS, now as standard.
- Automatic Stability Control ASC (optional / accessory).
- Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA (optional / accessory).
- Convenient adjustment of rear spring pretension via a handwheel.
- Suspension optimized in terms of ride stability and comfort.
- New, lighter wheels in dynamic design.
- Improved ergonomics for increased touring comfort with higher handlebars and repositioned footrests.
- Enhanced seating comfort for rider and passenger.
- New handlebar switch panels and front brake fluid reservoir.
- New vibration-free and double-butted aluminum handlebars.
- Cockpit with new dial faces for speedometer and engine speed display as well as an extended range of information.
- Load capacity increased by 24 lbs to 456 lbs.
- New exhaust system with optimized heel protection.
- Turn indicators in smoke grey.
- Newly developed luggage system (accessory).
- New connection of BMW Motorrad Navigator IV to handlebar clamp (accessory).
Following are the highlights, specs, and color options for the 2013 BMW F 800 GT (courtesy of BMW).
BMW has not released the price, but it should be close to the MSRP of the 2012 BMW F 800 ST, which was $12,550.
2013 BMW F 800 GT Fairings
The most striking change as compared to the predecessor model F 800 ST is the bike’s full fairing. Not only does it give the new F 800 GT a more dynamic, adult look, it makes it more of a fully fledged touring bike. A key factor here is the new windshield with optimized aerodynamics and significantly increased wind and weather protection. There are also new, longer mirror stems for a better view of traffic to the rear.
2013 BMW F 800 GT Engine
The high-torque, water-cooled 2-cylinder in-line engine with a capacity of 798 cc continues to provide dynamic propulsion in the new F 800 GT. It features electronic fuel injection, a closed-loop catalytic converter and a 6-speed gearbox for an excitingly spontaneous response, impressive pulling power and a low level of fuel consumption. Another unique feature in serial production motorcycle manufacture is the mass balance based on an additional connecting rod.
In the new F 800 GT an increase in power has been achieved by means of revised set-up. It now has an output of 66 kW / 90 bhp (F 800 ST: 62.5 kW (85 bhp)) at 8,000 rpm. As before, the vehicle is fueled with premium grade fuel.
Other new features of the F 800 GT include the exhaust manifold and rear silencer, both drawn from the dynamic roadster F 800 R. In the passenger heel area there is a new heat shield which was specially developed to meet the specific demands of a touring bike.
As part of the BMW Motorrad program of special accessories, the new F 800 GT can also be fitted with an Akrapovič sports silencer. This slip-on silencer (muffler) provides a particularly earthy 2-cylinder sound. Made of titanium and stainless steel it enables a weight reduction of approximately 3.7lbs as compared to the standard rear silencer.
2013 BMW F 800 GT ABS
The new F 800 GT already features the state-of-the-art dual channel BMW Motorrad ABS as standard. Lighter and more compact than the predecessor generation, the new ABS system also makes use of an additional pressure sensor in the front brake circuit, further optimizing control quality.
Another safety bonus – especially on slippery road surfaces – is provided by Automatic Stability Control ASC available as an accessory or factory option. ASC can be deactivated as required.
2013 BMW F 800 GT Suspension/Load Capacity
In terms of its suspension, the new F 800 GT offers a number of features specifically geared towards increased comfort and touring suitability. The rear swingarm is extended by 2 inches for enhanced ride stability. A slight reduction of spring travel by 0.6 inches to 4.9 inches reduces squat while also increasing ride stability and providing a more precise ride feel, as well as allowing a reduction in seat height from 33.1 inches to 31.5 inches.
The active riding qualities of the F 800 GT also benefit from new, lighter wheels in a highly dynamic design with tangible benefits in terms of handling. The tire dimensions of 120/70 ZR 17 at the front and 180/55 ZR 17 at the rear remain unchanged.
In terms of comfort and user-friendliness, the new F 800 GT features an optimized handwheel for easy adjustment of the spring mount (“spring preload”) at the rear central spring strut.
Load capacity has been increased by 24 lbs to 456 lbs, meeting the requirements of a “Gran Turismo” designed for fully fledged touring. In connection with this increased load capacity, the rear frame has been revised and the stems of the passenger footrests optimized.
2013 BMW F 800 GT Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA (option)
For the first time in a mid-range touring bike, BMW Motorrad offers Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA as a factory option in the new F 800 GT. This allows the rider to electrically adjust the damping rebound stage of the rear spring strut at the press of a button on the handlebar panel even while travelling. There is a choice of three levels – comfort, normal and sport, depending on the road surface and individual needs.
2013 BMW F 800 GT Ergonomics
The new 0.8 inch higher handlebars made of double-butted aluminum tubing are designed for enhanced touring comfort with additional decoupling to reduce vibration. By the same token, the brake pump at the front has been fitted with a new expansion tank featuring a harmonious design. The positions of the rider footrests have also been reconfigured so as to achieve particularly comfortable ergonomics suitable for touring. They are now placed 0.4 inches further forward and 0.4 inches lower, creating a tangibly relaxed knee angle and therefore greater seating comfort. The touring comfort is also increased by a new standard seat with wider seating surface. Other higher and lower seats are also optionally available so that the seat height can be adapted individually to the body height of the rider.
2013 BMW F 800 GT Cockpit
The instrument cluster has been given a new dial face design as well as indicator lights for the newly added ESA and ASC systems. Another feature is the display of the on-board computer, previously available as a factory option, and bar displays for fuel level and engine temperature are now also included as standard. Gear display, stopwatch, exterior temperature display and several other display functions still form part of the optional on-board computer.
2013 BMW F 800 GT Electonics
The F800 GT’s vehicle electrical system continues to make use of CAN bus technology. Its benefits are superior diagnostic capabilities and the fact that conventional safety fuses are no longer required. This also enables the integration of an electronic immobilizer. As in the recently presented models F 700 GS and F 800 GS, the new F 800 GT likewise features the latest generation of BMW Motorrad switches for optimum clarity and usability.
2013 BMW F 800 GT Optional Luggage
Drawing on the BMW Motorrad range of special accessories and ex works options, the new BMW F 800 GT can be fitted with a new, innovative luggage system which is perfect for travel and lengthy tours. Newly developed hard side-cases are used here for the first time. They provide a generous 55 litres of storage space with a load capacity of up to 22 lbs on each side. The cases are splashproof and in the right-hand case – which is slightly larger (the volume on the left is slightly reduced due to the silencer) – there is also room for a helmet if necessary.
BMW Motorrad also offers liners as an ideal supplement to the new touring cases, providing a perfect match in terms of fit and design. A welded inner lining ensures waterproofing. The liners are fitted with both carry handles and removable shoulder straps for convenient transport on arrival at one’s destination.
Another option in the luggage range is the system topcase, which offers an additional storage volume of 28 liters as before. As usual it is mounted on the standard luggage carrier.
The newly developed tank bag has a waterproof, size-adjustable main compartment with a volume of 10 or 14 liters and a practical waterproof map compartment. The BMW Motorrad snap-lock system makes for easy fitting here, too.
2013 BMW F 800 GT Navigator IV
Another new feature of the F 800 GT is the connection of the BMW Motorrad Navigator IV to the handlebar clamp, available as part of the range of BMW Motorrad special accessories. This allows combination with the tank bag, while another advantage is optimum readability.
BMW Motorrad Equipment Program
Special equipment features and special accessories – perfect individualization by BMW Motorrad.
Even in its standard trim, the new F 800 GT aspires to genuine “Gran Turismo” with a virtually perfect blend of sporty flair and touring comfort. In addition, BMW Motorrad offers an extensive range of options and accessories for further optimization of this sporty, dynamic touring bike.
Demanding long-distance riders requiring a high level of travel comfort will find everything they need as will those who love innovative technology. The variety of functional options ranges from Automatic Stability Control ASC to the new innovative luggage system and Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA.
Options are supplied directly from the factory and are integrated in the production process. Accessories are installed by the BMW Motorrad dealer.
- New: Safety package: (ASC, ESA and TPM).
- New: Comfort package (on-board computer, heated grips side-case mounts and centerstand).
- New: Automatic Stability Control ASC.
- New: Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA.
- New: comfort seat, 32.3 in.
- New: seat, low, 30.1 in
- New: Side-case mounts.
- TPM. On-board computer.
- Heated grips.
- Safety: Automatic Stability Control ASC.
- Anti-theft alarm DWA.
- New: side-cases.
- New: side-case mounts.
- New: liners for side-cases.
- New: tank bag.
- Topcase, small, 28 liters.
- Liner for topcase.
- LED turn indicators.
- LED rear light.
- New: Akrapovič sports silencer.
- New: comfort seat, 32.3 in.
- New: comfort seat, high, 33.3 in.
- Seat, low, 30.9 in.
- Seat, extra low, 30.9 in.
- Windshield, tinted.
- Heated grips.
- Rear splash guard.
- Navigation and communication.
- New: holder for BMW Motorrad Navigator IV.
- BMW Motorrad Navigator IV.
- Service toolkit.
- New: BMW Motorrad battery charger.
2013 BMW F 800 GT Specs:
- Type: Water-cooled 2-cylinder in-line DOHC engine
- Displacement: 798cc
- Bore X Stroke: 82mm x 75.6
- Compression Ratio: 12.0:1
- Max horsepower: 90 @ 8,000 rpm
- Max Torque: 63 @ 8,500 rpm.
- Fuel System: Electronic intake pipe fuel injection, engine control system BMS-KP
- Clutch:Multi-plate wet clutch, mechanically controlled
- Transmission: Constant mesh 6-speed
- Frame:Aluminum bridge frame, partially load-bearing supporting engine
- Front suspension: Telescopic fork, Ø 43 mm
- Rear suspension: Single-sided swingarm, aluminum
- Front Brakes: Hydraulically activated twin disc brake, Ø 320 mm
- Rear Brake: Hydraulically activated single disc brake, Ø 265 mm
- BMW Motorrad ABS as standard
- Wheels/tires: Aluminum cast wheels: Front, 3.5″ x 17″ (120/70-ZR17); rear 5.5″ x17″ (180/55-ZR17)
- Length: 84.8″ (2156mm)
- Width: 35.6″ (905mm)
- Seat Height: 31.4″ (800mm) (option 820, 765, special accessory 845, 820, 785, 765 (all mm))
- Wet Weight: 469.5 lbs. (213 kg)
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 3.9 gallons (15L)
2013 BMW F 800 GT Color Options / MSRP:
- Radiant Valencia Orange / NA
- Dark Graphite Metallic / NA
- Light White / NA