2012 BMW Motorrad UK Sales
Following the release of first-quarter (Q1) BMW Motorcycle sales in the UK, the R 1200 GS and R 1200 GS Adventure were the UK’s best-selling motorcycles so far in 2012.
BMW Motorrad UK says that 293 R 1200 GS motorcycles were sold, and 240 R 1200 GS Adventure models were sold. This data shows that the adventure segment is the quickest growing segment in the UK, BMW Motorrad reporting a 38.6 percent growth in the segment for the first three months of 2012 over the same period in 2011.
And BMW continues to lead the segment, claiming 31.4 percent of the adventure market share. This is no surprise considering BMW first created the Adventure segment with the release of the 1980 R 80 G/S.
These results follow the news that BMW Motorrad’s world-wide Q1 sales were up 5.5 percent over the same quarter of 2011; BMW says it was the best quarter ever.
During this year’s Q1, BMW Motorrad UK’s new vehicle registrations also increased by 6.1 percent, and BMW’s market share of motorcycles over 125cc have increased from 13.5 to 14.8 percent.
BMW Motorrad also reports it continues to go from strength to strength in the touring sector, with one in every two tourers purchased in the first three months of 2012 now bearing the BMW roundel. BMW Motorrad’s market share in this sector increased to 51.8 percent.
The popular BMW R 1200 RT was the best-selling touring motorcycle, with the stunning six-cylinder K 1600 GT and GTL second and third. Both the K 1600 models have also seen growth in the first quarter of 2012, BMW reports.
Adrian Roderick (General Manager for BMW Motorrad UK) says: "The first quarter of 2012 has been very positive, both for us and motorcycling in general. New motorcycle registrations are up 3.6 percent, while BMW Motorrad’s have risen by an encouraging 6.1 percent.
"The continued success of the iconic R 1200 GS and Adventure models has led the charge, becoming the UK’s best-selling motorcycle of any capacity and type, bar none. This proves just how well established the GS brand is, from the first ever adventure-sports bike in 1980, through to the latest additions to the range in 2012.
"BMW Motorrad’s continued dominance of the touring sector, where one in two new motorcycles sold is a BMW, along with strong sales of the revised S 1000 RR supersports motorcycle, are further indications that BMW Motorrad is becoming ever-more popular with the UK’s motorcyclists."
2012 BMW Motorrad UK Q1 Sales Highlights:
- Combined first quarter sales of the BMW R 1200 GS (293) and R 1200 GS Adventure (240) make it the UK’s best-selling powered two-wheeler in 2012.
- BMW Motorrad’s new motorcycle registrations increased by 6.1% in the first quarter of 2012.
- BMW’s market share of motorcycles over 125cc has increased to 14.8% in the first three months of the year.
- Every model in the GS range has sold more in the first quarter of 2012 than the same period in 2011.
- BMW remains the dominant manufacturer in the adventure-sports sector, with a 31.4% market share, despite ever-increasing competition.
- Adventure-sports, the category created by BMW Motorrad in 1980 with the R 80 G/S, is the fastest growing sector in the UK, showing growth of 38.6% in 2012.
- One in every two tourers purchased in the first three months of 2012 is a BMW.
- BMW Motorrad’s market share in the touring sector increased from 44% in 2011 to 51.8%, with BMWs holding positions one, two and three in the sales chart.
- The popular BMW R 1200 RT was the best-selling touring motorcycle, followed by the K 1600 GT and GTL. Both K-series models also sold more than in the same period in 2011.