2012 AMA Supercross Results
Spoiler Alert: 2012 AMA Supercross results from O.com Stadium, Oakland, listed below
Four different races. Four different riders. Four different manufacturers.
This is the way the 2012 AMA Supercross Championship is shaping up following Round 4 of 17 at O.com Stadium in Oakland, Calif.
The winner at O.com? The same man who took the 2011 SX round in Oakland, Joe Gibbs Racing Yamaha’s James Stewart. And it was a special victory for Stewart; the Florida native won under dire circumstances, considering his main mechanic Mark “Tex” Adams passed away Friday.
Joining Stewart on the Oakland Supercross podium was Two-Two Honda’s Chad Reed and Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto.
James Stewart (Joe Gibbs Racing Yamaha YZF450 Supercross) says: “I would like to dedicate this win to my mechanic, Mark ‘Tex’ Adams, who passed away this week.
“I got in a rhythm out there tonight and put together a great race. I had a tough couple of races this year, and tonight I got it done.”
Before over 46,000 fans in O.com stadium, Reed won the Nuclear Cowboyz holeshot, followed by Honda’s Andrew Short and Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Josh Hansen. But Stewart was on a charge, taking Hansen by the end of lap one.
And on the following lap, Stewart passed Short and set his eyes on Reed. It would take some time, but on lap nine, Stewart passed Reed for the lead and ran flawlessly to the checkered flag. Reed attempted to challenge Stewart, but couldn’t pass Stewart. Villopoto, who took the season opener in Anaheim, Calif., took the final podium position.
With his win, Stewart became the fourth different winner so far in 2012 AMA Supercross; Villopoto took Anaheim, Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey took round 2 in Phoenix, and Reed won at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles last weekend.
In the overall points race, Reed and Dungey are now tied for first place at 85 points apiece. Villopoto stalks the leaders by two points with 83, and Stewart is in fourth with 73 points
Feld Motor Sports reports that Rockstar Energy Racing Suzuki’s Martin Davalos, of Cairo, Ga., grabbed the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot with Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson, of Menifee, Calif., on his rear wheel as they headed out of turn 1. Tucked in behind the leaders, GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac held down the number-three spot.
While chasing down Davalos, on lap 1, Wilson shot off the track, crashing and losing valuable positions as Tomac moved into second place. On lap 2, Davalos bobbled, which allowed Tomac to make a pass for the lead. Zach Osborne, of Chesterfield, S.C., pushed his Monster Energy Yamaha into second place on lap 6, but was passed by Rockstar Energy Racing’s Jason Anderson, of Edgewood, N.M., on lap 10. Anderson crashed one lap later, going the number-two spot to Osborne.
On lap 12, Osborne engaged on a hotly contested battle with Red Bull KTM’s Marvin Musquin, of Murrieta, Calif. Musquin made a solid pass and held on for second place with Osborne in third for the second consecutive weekend, Feld says. Tomac extended his points lead to 15 before heading back to Angel Stadium next weekend.
The 2012 AMA Supercross Championship continues next week with Anaheim II occurring in Angel Stadium Saturday.
2012 AMA Supercross Class Results: O.com Stadium, Oakland
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
- Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
- Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
2012 AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda – 85
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 85
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 83
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 73
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 61
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 58
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda – 52
- Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki – 47
- Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 45
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 42
2012 Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results: Oakland
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda
- Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Yamaha
- Ryan Sipes, Ekron, Ky., Yamaha
- Matt Moss, Sussex Inlet, NS
- Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Honda
- Nico Izzi, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha
- Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Honda
- Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki
- Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki
2012 Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 88
- Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki – 73
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Yamaha – 67
- Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 64
- Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki – 60
- Cole Seely, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 57
- Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki – 53
- Nico Izzi, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha – 46
- Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Honda – 45
- Ryan Sipes, Ekron, Ky., Yamaha – 43