2012 Triumph Adventure Motorcycle
When introduced in 2011, the Triumph Tiger 800 and 800XC became the ultimate players in the middleweight Adventure class.
While the Tiger 800 was more like a standard capable of off-road fun, the Tiger 800 XC was a rugged player built to take on the off road.
Triumph returns for 2012 with the Tiger 800XC, which features the 799cc, 12-valve three-cylinder engine designed for low-revving power for off-road situations, but enough top-end for cruising down the highway.
The engine breathes through Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection, which helps the Tiger 800XC obtain 41 mpg in the city, and 63 mpg on the highway.
The 2012 Tiger 800XC is built on a tubular steel trellis frame, with a twin-sided cast-aluminum alloy swingarm. These elements are designed to work in both off-road and on-road situations with the Showa 45mm upside down forks up front that provide 220mm travel, and Showa monoshock with remote oil reservoir, hydraulically adjustable preload, rebound damping adjustment that provides 215mm of rear wheel travel.
The 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC rolls on a 21-inch spoked wheel up front, and a 17-inch spoked wheel out back.
Handling braking on the Tiger 800 XC are two 308mm discs up front squeezed by Nissin two-piston calipers, with a single 255mm disc out back squeezed by a Nissin single-piston caliper.
A sophisticated anti-lock braking system is available as an option, which can be turned off when off-road situations are present.
The Tiger 800XC is further enhanced for adveture with comfortable ergonomics for long-distance travel, a five-gallon gas tank, and hand guards.
Triumph says the comprehensive instrumentation includes a fuel gauge and trip computer, while a high-specification 645w generator is fitted to allow riders to safely fit electrical accessories such as heated grips, auxiliary lights and satellite navigation equipment. A huge range of official Triumph accessories have been developed for the Tiger 800XC’s launch, these include numerous hard and soft luggage solutions, adjustable touring screen, center stand and off-road style engine protection bars and sump guard.
Following are highlights, specs, color options and MSRP for the 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC:
2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC Highlights:
- Maximum Adjustability: Handlebars and rider seat are both adjustable for optimal rider comfort.
- Suspension: Chunky 45mm upside down forks adorn the front of the Tiger 800 XC. Plus there’s long travel for comfort on road and compliance, when you take to the rough stuff.
- Switchable ABS: Anti-lock brakes can be switched off for off-road riding.
- Built In Rear Rack: Well appointed rear rack doubles as generously proportioned passenger grab rail.
- High Capacity Generator: Class leading 645w generator allows the Tiger 800 XC to be fully loaded with journey-enhancing electrical accessories.
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC Specs:
- Type: Liquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line three-cylinder
- Capacity: 799cc
- Bore/Stroke: 74.0 x 61.9mm
- Fuel System: Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection
- Exhaust: Stainless steel 3 into 1, high level stainless steel silencer
- Final Drive: O ring chain
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate
- Gearbox: 6-speed
- Oil Capacity: 3.7 liters (1.0 US gals)
- Frame: Tubular steel trellis frame
- Swingarm: Twin-sided, cast aluminum alloy
- Wheels: Front 36-spoke 21 x 2.5in, aluminum rim; rear 32-spoke 17 x 4.25in, aluminum rim
- Tires: Front 90/90 ZR 21; rear 150/70 ZR 17
- Suspension Front: Showa 45mm upside down forks, 220mm travel
- Suspension Rear: Showa monoshock with remote oil reservoir, hydraulically adjustable preload, rebound damping adjustment, 215mm rear wheel travel
- Brakes Front: Twin 308mm floating discs, Nissin 2-piston floating calipers, (ABS model available)
- Brakes Rear: Single 255mm disc, Nissin single piston floating caliper, (ABS model available)
- Length:2215mm (87.1in)
- Width: (handlebars) 865mm (34.0in)
- Height without mirrors: 1390mm (54.7in)
- Seat Height: 845mm (33.2in) – 865mm (34.0in)
- Wheelbase: 1545mm (60.8in)
- Rake/Trail: 24.3°/95.3mm
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 19.0 liters (5.0 US gals)
- Wet Weight: 215 kg (473 lbs)
- Maximum Power: 94 horsepower @ 9300rpm
- Maximum Torque: 58 ft.lbs @ 7850rpm
- Fuel Efficiency 41 MPG City / 63 Highway
- Instrument Display/Functions: LCD multi-functional instrument pack with digital speedometer, trip computer, analogue tachometer, gear position indicator, fuel gauge, service indicator, TPMS ready, switchable ABS and clock
2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC Color Options / MSRP:
- Intense Orange / $11,999 (with ABS)
- Phantom Black / $11,999 (with ABS)
- Crystal White / $11,999 (with ABS)