Russia FIM Freestyle Motocross Results
2011 Night of the Jumps
Bright sunshine greeted the debut NIGHT of the JUMPs in Russia. The first competition in FIM Freestyle MX World Championship history held on Russian soil saw 15 freestyle motocross ‘cosmonauts’ from seven nations launch themselves into orbit above Penza.
When Josh Sheehan landed back on earth after a triumphant final run, the sell-out Freestyle Motocross crowd at the rugby stadium in Yuri Gagarin Street went wild.
Red Bull rider Petr Pilat (CZE) was injured during training and unfortunately could not start. Nikolai Ivankov, Michael Yarygin and Vladimir Yarygin flew the flag for the host country after Aleksey Kaleshnikov, who broke his foot during the week, had to present a sick note. Although the three of them got a great reception from their home crowd, they were unable to compete at the same level as the championship contenders and had to watch the rest of the show from the Red Bull pits after being eliminated at the qualifying stage.
The German trio of Hannes Ackermann, Lukas Weis and Fabian Bauersachs also put in a creditable performance but were likewise left on the sidelines at half time. Two-time world champion Remi Bizouard was already having some difficulties in practice with the wind and continued to struggle in his run, so no final for him this time.
This was contested by Jose Miralles (ESP), Maikel Melero (ESP), Libor Podmol (CZE), David Rinaldo (FRA), Javier Villegas (CHL) and Josh Sheehan (AUS).
In the Whip FIM Motocross contest, Josh Sheehan took the honours ahead of local hero Michael Yarygin. The Maxxis Highest Air was won by Maikel Melero who beat the 8-metre mark.
As the six finalists lined up to do battle, the sun bathed the stadium in soft colours, forming an incongruous but beautiful setting for the championship spectacular that was to follow. In the private Spanish duel for fifth and sixth, newcomer Maikel Melero pulled off an Airplane and various flip combos to prevail against ‘El Loco’ Miralles.
After recently breaking a rib, it bordered on the miraculous that Libor Podmol not only started at Penza but also made it through to the final round. However, it was a performance that fell short of the podium.
This was fought out between David Rinaldo, Javier Villegas and Josh Sheehan. Rinaldo went first with Airplane and Doublegrab Flip. Villegas countered with Nac Underflip and Tsunami Flip. But as usual, Sheehan went one better with a Clicker 360 and Lazyflip to earn a well-deserved victory ahead of Villegas (second) and Rinaldo (third) and take the trophy in the first NIGHT of the JUMPs staged in Russia.
By finishing as runner-up in the Russian Grand Prix, Javier Villegas has further consolidated his lead in the FIM Freestyle MX World Championship. The Chilean is now 13 points ahead of second-placed Remi Bizouard. Jose Miralles is waiting in the wings, just three points behind in third place
The last World Championship competition before NIGHT of the JUMPs heads off for its long summer break will be held tomorrow (Sunday), also at the Rugby Stadium in Penza.
2011 Penza FIM Freestyle Motocross World Championship Results
1. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda 475 Points
2. Javier Villegas CHL AMA Yamaha 466 Points
3. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 450 Points
4. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 441 Points
5. Maikel Melero ESP RFME Yamaha 421 Points
6. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 411 Points
2011 Penza FIM Freestyle Motocross World Championships Results Qualification
1. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda 436 Points
2. Javier Villegas CHL AMA Yamaha 425 Points
3. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 397 Points
4. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 390 Points
5. Maikel Melero ESP RFME Yamaha 389 Points
6. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 386 Points
7. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 347 Points
8. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB KTM 342 Points
9. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 322 Points
10. Romain Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 313 Points
11. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 306 Points
12. Massimo Bianconcini ITA DMSB KTM 249 Points
13. Nikolay Ivankov RUS MFR Honda 244 Points
14. Michael Jarygin RUS MFR Honda 196 Points
15. Vladimir Jarygin RUS MFR Honda 175 Points
2011 Penza FIM Freestyle Motocross World Championships Results Whip Contest
1. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda
2. Michael Jarygin RUS MFR Honda
2011 Penza FIM Freestyle Motocross World Championships Results MAXXIS Highest Air
1. Maikel Melero ESP RFME Yamaha 8,00 Meter
2. Massimo Bianconcini ITA DMSB KTM 7,80 Meter
FIM Freestyle MX World Championships Ranking (after 6th contest)
1. Javier Villegas CHL AMA Yamaha 104 Points
2. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 91 Points
3. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 88 Points
4. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 72 Points
5. Maikel Melero ESP RFME Yamaha 70 Points
6. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda 60 Points
7. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 58 Points
8. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB KTM 47 Points
9. Romain Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 47 Points
10. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 34 Points
11. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 29 Points
12. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL ACCR KTM 28 Points
13. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 17 Points
14. Kai Haase GER DMSB Suzuki 10 Points
15. Vanni Oddera ITA ACCR KTM 6 Points