2011 High Point Motocross | Preview
2011 AMA Motocross
The 2011 AMA Motocross Championship returns Saturday to High Point Raceway in Mt. Morris, Pa., after a week-long break. In the 450cc Class, Two-Two Motorsports Honda rider Chad Reed leads heading into Round 3 of 12 this weekend.
The Australian took the first two rounds (Hangtown, Freestone), and now has 97 points, 21 over Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, who won the 2011 AMA Supercross Championship.
Villopoto finished third overall in Hangtown and Freestone, giving him a four-point edge in the standings over Muscle Milk/Toyota/JGR honda’s Davi Millsaps; Davi finished sixth overall in Hangtown, and second overall in Freestone.
The reigning AMA Motocross Champion Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey is fourth in the championship; he is three points behind Millsaps with 69 points.
Dungey may have been further along in the point standings, but while chasing his first MX win of 2011 in Freestone, Texas, his Suzuki RMZ450 ran out of gas with two laps remaining, giving the win to Reed.
And this week in High Point may bring more luck to Reed, considering he took his first-premier class Motocross victory there in 2009.
In the 250 cc class, Scottish rider Dean Wilson leads the point standings with 90 after taking the opening two rounds aboard the Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki KX250F. But only five points behind is teammate Tyla Rattray. In third heading into High Point Motocross is GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac.
MX Sports says High Point Raceway is an iconic piece of American Motocross history. Since hosting its first race in 1976, the facility has become a staple of the Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship and has produced some of the most memorable races throughout the illustrious history of the sport.
Last season at High Point, Ryan Dungey headed to Mt. Morris fresh off his first career 450 Class victory. He posted a dominant effort in front of thousands of fans to win for the first time at the facility and move into the championship lead, which he held throughout the remainder of the season. In the 250 Class, Tyla Rattray used a pair of determined moto efforts to capture his first career overall win on U.S. soil.
The on-track action for the Rockstar Energy High Point National begins this Saturday at 8:30 a.m. EDT with practice and qualifying. Opening ceremonies begin at 12:30 p.m. EDT with motos kicking off at 1 p.m. EDT.
2011 AMA Motocross: 450 Class Championship Standings (after 2 of 12 rounds)
- Chad Reed, Australia, Honda – 97
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 76
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 72
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 69
- Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Suzuki – 64
- Ricky Dietrich, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha – 53
- Christian Craig, Hemet, Calif., Honda – 47
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 45
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 44
- Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Yamaha – 40
2011 AMA Motocross 250 Class Championship Standings
- Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki – 90
- Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki – 85
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 69
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki – 66
- Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha – 64
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 52
- Gareth Swanepoel, South Africa, Yamaha – 46
- Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Suzuki – 44
- Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda – 42
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki – 38