After winning his heat race at Indianapolis AMA Supercross in Lucas Oil Stadium Saturday evening, James Stewart was an immediate contender for the win.
But Stewart was still sore from his hectic crash at Daytona International Speedway last weekend, and was reporting that his stiffness was going impact his Indy SX results.
But he did well; Stewart didn’t have his usual good start, and began the 20-lap Supercross main in eight place, far behind race leader and eventual winner Ryan Villopoto on the Monster Energy Kawasaki KX450F, and the man in second Chad Reed on the Two-Two Motorsports Honda CRF450R.
But Stewart battled his way into third, carefully stalking Reed. On Lap 11, Stewart piloted his YZ450F into second place, leaving a battle for third between Reed and the reigning Supercross Champion Ryan Dungey on the Rockstar Makita Suzuki RMZ450.
Villopoto would win, joined on the podium by Stewart and Reed, respectively.
James Stewart says: "I had a rough weekend last week and wasn’t able to ride the way I wanted to. I let my team down today. It’s not over. I’m so motivated right now and I have a bunch of guys behind me."
Villopoto now holds a 26-point lead over Stewart going into Round 11 of the AMA Supercross series into Jacksonville, Fla., Stewart’s home race. Attached is a YouTube video of Stewart’s reaction to his Indy Supercross finish.
2011 Supercross Results: Indianapolis
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
3. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda
4. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
5. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha
6. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
7. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
8. Nicholas Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Yamaha
9. Cole Seely, Corona, Calif., Honda
10. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM