FIM Freestyle Motocross
Saturday’s NIGHT of the JUMPs in Vienna rounded off a giant double bill of freestyle motocross. Libor Podmol staged a superb comeback to take the honours in the 12th round of the FIM Freestyle Motocross World Championship.
The Czech Freestyle Motocross rider goes into the title decider in Fortaleza (Brazil) six points ahead of his main rival Brice Izzo.
William van den Putte was absent from the starting line-up after his tumble on Friday, so his place was taken by local rider Martin Schenk.
In the Freestyle Motocross contest to impress the home crowd, Schenk lost out to fellow Austrian Thomas Wirnsberger, whose repertoire on the evening included a Superflip. However, both of them had to bow out after the preliminary round, together with the German duo of Hannes Ackermann and Fabian Bauersachs.
Likewise making an early exit were Brody Wilson (USA), who bombed twice, and Alastair Sayer (BOT), who made a respectable run but was still edged out by Massimo Bianconcini.
Joining the Italian in the Freestyle Motocross final were Josh Sheehan (AUS) and Remi Bizouard (FRA), plus the three main title contenders, Jose Miralles (ESP), Libor Podmol (CZE) and Brice Izzo (FRA).
Sheehan and Wilson repeated their success of the Freestyle Motocross night before in the Team Whip Contest, as did Alastair Sayer in his speciality event, the Highest Air Contest.
Bianconcini led off in the final and put in what must surely rank as his finest run of the season, his underflip in the double-up taking him to fifth overall. On Friday, Josh Sheehan had looked a dead cert for a podium spot before crashing into the barrier.
Saturday, there was no stopping him. Riding his customary four-stroke Freestyle Motocross machine, he executed a 1-Hand Underflip and a Superman Seatgrab Indy Flip, as well as a mini-flip on the edge of the landing mound, all of which was good enough to secure the third rung on the podium.
For a while, it looked as if this might be snatched away from him by Remi Bizouard, but the Frenchman did not quite recover from an incredible 180-degree whip and made a hard landing.
After Bizouard’s fall, Jose Miralles emerged onto the Freestyle Motocross track and attempted all the tricks in the book. But the Spaniard was visibly awed and could only manage fourth.
The big showdown of the evening between Podmol and Izzo was still to come. Libor ran through all the same Freestyle Motocross tricks he had performed on Friday, but this time made them longer and more drawn out, plus his landings were more precise. Brice Izzo responded with a repeat of his mini-flip.
The pair of them finished level on the leader board with 429 points, but counting back to earlier heats, Libor’s total was higher, which gave him FMX victory on the day.
In the Freestyle Motocross championship standings, the Czech has a six-point lead over Brice Izzo, which means that he now has his destiny in his own hands. Yet based on what we have seen from the Frenchman here in Vienna, we can confidently expect the grand finale of the World Championship to be the most exciting ever witnessed in NIGHT of the JUMPs.
The 2010 FIM Freestyle Motocross season comes to a close on Dec. 12 in the Brazilian city of Fortaleza.
FACTS NIGHT of the JUMPs – FIM Freestyle Motocross World Championships
Vienna, 27th November 2010 – Round 12 Results
1. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 429 Points
2. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 429 Points
3. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda 408 Points
4. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 379 Points
5. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL DMSB KTM 373 Points
6. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 336 Points
Vienna Freestyle Motocross Results Qualification
1. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 375 Points
2. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 375 Points
3. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 370 Points
4. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 369 Points
5. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda 369 Points
6. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL DMSB KTM 347 Points
7. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 344 Points
8. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB Suzuki 324 Points
9. Brody Wilson USA AMA Yamaha 324 Points
10. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 286 Points
11. Thomas Wirnsberger AUT OeAMTC Yamaha 241 Points
12. Martin Schenk AUT OeAMTC Yamaha 226 Points
Vienna Freestyle Motocross Results Team Whip Contest
1. Josh Sheehan / Brody Wilson
2. Massimo Bianconcini / Alastair Sayer
Vienna Freestyle Motocross Highest-Air
1. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 8,00 Meter
2. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 6,50 Meter
3. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL DMSB KTM 6,50 Meter
FIM Freestyle Motocross World Championships Ranking (after 12th contest)
1. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 202 Points
2. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 196 Points
3. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 184 Points
4. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 124 Points
5. Brody Wilson USA AMA Yamaha 119 Points
6. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL DMSB KTM 110 Points
7. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 106 Points
8. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB Suzuki 95 Points
9. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 71 Points
10. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 68 Points
11. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 61 Points
12. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda 48 Points
13. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 45 Points
14. Rob Adelberg AUS MA Yamaha 34 Points
15. Martin Koren CZE ACCR KTM 20 Points
16. Marcelo Simoes BRA CBM Yamaha 10 Points
17. Thomas Wirnsberger AUT OeAMTC Yamaha 9 Points
18. Tomas Lysacek CZE ACCR Yamaha 8 Points
19. Kai Haase GER DMSB Suzuki 8 Points
20. Martin Schenk AUT OeAMTC Yamaha 7 Points
21. William v.d. Putte BEL FMB KTM 5 Points
22. Aleksey Koleshnikov RUS KTM MFR 4 Points
23. Freddy Peters GER DMSB Yamaha 3 Points
24. Ales Liemann CZE ACCR Suzuki 3 Points