Houston AMA Supercross Race Results
SX Houston Race Repor
The AMA Supercross, with Chad Reed back on the race grid, visited the great state of Texas for the second time in 2010 in front of 44,624 fans from Houston’s Reliant Stadium.
After a one-week break, the world’s best Monster Energy Supercross riders returned to action on Saturday night as Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto on his Kawasaki KX450F won his seventh AMA Supercross class race of the year.
Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Christophe Pourcel on his Kawasaki KX250F captured his fifth win of the AMA Supercross Lites Eastern Regional Championship season and claimed his 2nd consecutive SX Lites title in the process.
Villopoto grabbed a great drive out of the gate in the premier class main event to take the Spike Holeshot Award with Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey and San Manuel Yamaha’s Josh Hill on his Yamaha YZ450F in tow.
As Villopoto quickly gapped the field, several heated battles ensued behind him. On lap 10, AMA Supercross class points leader Dungey stalled his bike coming off the main straight, dropping from fourth to eighth. He restarted and worked back through the field to salvage fifth place.
Ryan Villopoto says: "I think this is my first actual holeshot of year," said Villopoto. "It’s always great to get (a good start). I’ve definitely struggles in practice this season. I don’t know why but I turn it around come race time. It bums me out when I look at the board in practice and I’m not on it but at end of the night it’s awesome to lead all 20 laps and come out with a win. And tonight I was able to gain a lot of points."
GEICO Powersports Honda’s Kevin Windham, of Centreville, Miss., captured a season-best second place finish while Valli Motorsports Rockstar Yamaha’s Ivan Tedesco rounded out the podium in third.
Villopoto gained nine points on his championship rival with as the season heads into the final four, and currently sits just 12 points out of the lead. In his return to the series, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Chad Reed finished fourth.
Pourcel entered Saturday’s penultimate round of the AMA Supercross Lites Eastern Regional Championship just eight points ahead of Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Austin Stroupe.
However, a practice crash in the afternoon left Stroupe on the sidelines for the night show and allowed the Frenchman to race to his second straight Eastern Regional crown on his on his Kawasaki KX250F.
As the gates dropped on the main event, Pourcel was right on the rear wheel of Rockstar Energy Suzuki’s Blake Baggett who grabbed the Spike Holeshot Award. The points leader quickly made his move for the lead and went on to lead all 15 laps of the main event for win number five.
Christophe Pourcel says: "I didn’t know I could win the championship tonight," said Pourcel. "I always go out and race and try to win every weekend. You never know when you might win the title and I did tonight. I’m happy. I’m just going to get a good night’s rest and try to win next week. Then I can celebrate."
After a heated battle for the remaining spots on the podium, Baggett brought home the runner-up spot while GEICO Powersports Honda’s Justin Barcia finished in third.
AMA Supercross Class Results: Houston
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
3. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
4. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Kawasaki
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
6. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki
7. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
8. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
9. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
10. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
AMA Supercross Points Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 277
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 265
3. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 217
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 203
5. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 201
6. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 179
7. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 176
8. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 141
9. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki, 128
10. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 123
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Results: Houston
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki
2. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki
3. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
4. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
5. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Yamaha
6. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda
7. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha
8. Jimmy Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
9. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki
10. Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Suzuki
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Points Standings
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki, 159
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki, 126
3. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 122
4. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 113
5. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki, 102
6. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha, 91
7. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki, 83
8. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda, 69
9. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Yamaha, 65
10. Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Suzuki, 58
The 2010 Monster Energy AMA Supercross season continues next weekend from St. Louis at the Edward Jones Dome.Google+