Both the EC and EX are based on the KTM off-road platform, as both brands are under the Pierer Mobility Group umbrella. There are a few distinctions between the two GasGas 300s:
- There’s WP Xact fork on the EX 300—the same as used on the GasGas motocross bikes. The EC 300 has an Xplor enduro-focused fork. Both 300s have a WP Xact shock and linkage assistance.
- Maxxis MaxxEnduro tires are used on the EC 300, while the EX 300 gets racing-ready Dunlop Geomax AT81 rubber.
- The EX 300 has Brembo hydraulics, compared to the Braktec hydraulics employed on the EC 300.
- Due to the lights and other differences, the EC 300 weighs 12 pounds more than the EX 300.
Both the 2021 GasGas EX 300 and EC 300 have a fuel- and oil-injected 293cc two-stroke motor with electric starting and six-speed transmission.
GasGas will be serious about off-road racing in the coming year, according to KTM Marketing & Group Media Manager Tom Moen: “Geoff Aaron became the GasGas North America Off-Road Race Team Manager who oversees the Trial and Off-Road racing activities for GasGAs, and is pleased to work with GasGasCoastal Factory Racing Team and their Team Manager Barry Hawk as they prepare to race GNCC and National Enduro in 2021.”
You can get either model for the same price: $9599 MSRP.
Studio photography by H. Mitterbauer
Action photography by Rudi Schedl
2021 GasGas EC 300 and EX 300 Specs
- Type: Single-cylinder two-stroke
- Displacement: 293cc
- Bore x stroke: 72 x 72mm
- Starting: Electric w/ 12-volt 2 Ah battery
- Lubrication: Electronically controlled
- Fueling: EFI w/ Dell’Orto 39mm throttle body
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Clutch: Wet multi-disc DDS clutch w/ Braktec hydraulics (EX 300: Brembo hydraulics)
- Final drive: 5/8” x ¼” chain
- Frame: Central double-cradle chromoly steel
- Subframe: Aluminum
- Handlebar: Neken tapered aluminum
- Front suspension: Fully adjustable WP Xplor inverted 48mm fork; 12.2 inches (EX 300: Fully adjustable WP Xact inverted 48mm fork; 12.2 inches)
- Rear suspension: Linkage-assisted fully adjustable WP Xact shock; 11.8 inches
- Front wheel: 21 x 1.60
- Rear wheel: 18 x 2.15
- Tires: Maxxis MaxxEnduro (EX 300: Dunlop Geomax AT81)
- Front tire: 80/100 x 21 (EX 300: 90/90 x 21)
- Rear tire: 110/100 x 18
- Front brake: 260mm disc w/ Braktec caliper (EX 300: Brembo caliper)
- Rear brake: 220mm disc w/ Braktec caliper (EX 300: Brembo caliper)
- Wheelbase: 58.5 inches (± 0.4 in)
- Rake: 26.5 degrees
- Triple clamp offset: 22mm
- Seat height: 37.4 inches
- Ground clearance: 14.2 inches
- Fuel capacity: 2.25 gallons
- Curb weight: 248 pounds (EX 300: 236 pounds)
- 2021 GasGas EC 300 Price: $9599 MSRP
- 2021 GasGas EX 300 Price: $9599 MSRP