The 2015 Western Regional 250SX Championship continued this past weekend at NRG Stadium in Houston, and a just like in the 450 class, a champion was crowned.
This was after Yamalube/Star Racing Yamaha’s Cooper Webb earned his fifth win in seven races Saturday in Texas’ most populous city. This was also Webb’s first title of his professional Supercross career.
Joining Webb on the podium in Houston were Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil/Red Bull KTM’s Shane McElrath and GEICO Honda’s Malcolm Stewart.
Following Houston 250 Supercross, Webb said: ”This is unreal. I dedicated my whole life for this moment right here and it paid off. I was a four-year-old chasing a dream and it came true. I put my head down [after finishing seventh at the first race of the season] because I knew I wasn’t a seventh place guy. I knew I belonged up here so I never quit. I kept fighting and here we are.”
When the race got underway, GEICO Honda’s Matt Bisceglia took the SupercrossLive.com Holeshot Award ahead of McElrath and Webb.
McElrath quickly took over the lead, and behind Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Tyler Bowers passed Webb for third. Bowers was Webb’s biggest threat to clinch the title. But Bowers time in third didn’t last long; Webb would pass him, and Bowers would be forced to pull of the track and suffer a DNF.
On the fourth lap, Webb passed Bisceglia for second and began chasing down McElrath. Unfortunately, Bisceglia crashed, giving third to Yamalube/Star Racing Yamaha’s Aaron Plessinger.
Webb caught up with McElrath, and took the lead on lap nine. Once past, he immediately began pulling away. McElrath would have to settle for second, and Stewart moved from 11th to the front to claim the final podium position.
Webb is now followed in the Western Regional 250SX Class championship standings by Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Zach Osborne, who assumed the spot after a seventh-place finish, and McElrath, who moved into third.
2015 Houston Western Regional 250SX Class Results:
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha
- Shane McElrath, Canton, N.C., KTM
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda
- Aaron Plessinger, Hamilton, Ohio, Yamaha
- Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., KTM
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Husqvarna
- Matt Bisceglia, Weatherford, Texas, Honda
- Chris Alldredge, Powell Butte, Ore., Kawasaki
- Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
2015 Western Regional 250SX Class Season Standings:
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha, 161
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Husqvarna, 116
- Shane McElrath, Canton, N.C., KTM, 108
- Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., KTM, 106
- Tyler Bowers, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki, 105
- Aaron Plessinger, Hamilton, Ohio, Yamaha, 99
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., KTM, 94
- Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha, 91
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda, 89
- Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki, 89