2015 BMW R 1200 R First Look Preview
BMW Motorrad has announced the 2015 R 1200 R boxer roadster as a motorcycle that upholds the BMW tradition of comfort, dynamism and touring capability, while putting a new slant on that blend of qualities.
The flat-twin boxer engine on the new R 1200 R is the same DOHC drive unit that already powers the R 1200 GS and R 1200 GS Adventure as well as the R 1200 RT and the new R 1200 RS.
The mill produces 92 kW (125 hp) at 7750 rpm and develops its peak torque of 125 Nm (92 ft/lbs) at 6500 rpm. This is an increase in torque throughout the rev range and BMW promises power delivery that is now more uniform.
The exhaust is a 2-in-1 system with a steeply angled rear silencer. A modified airbox and newly shaped air intake snorkels, as well as a centrally positioned radiator, trim the front silhouette.
The new R 1200 R comes equipped as standard with two riding modes “Rain” and “Road”. Besides ABS, the standard specification also includes Automatic Stability Control (ASC) for increased handling safety when accelerating. And when specified with the optional Riding mode Pro feature, the new R 1200 R also adds Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) with banking detection as well as two extra riding modes – “Dynamic” and “User.”
The R 1200 R uses a new tubular steel bridge frame incorporating the flat-twin engine as a structural element. With an inverted telescopic fork at the front and EVO Paralever at the rear, the wheel suspension remains true to classical roadster principles.
Excellent steering precision, directional accuracy, handling and braking rigidity were all top priorities when configuring the chassis.
The R 1200 R utilizes BMW’s latest generation of the electronically controlled suspension Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment). With its two damping settings “Road” and “Dynamic”, Dynamic ESA enables the rider to have high levels of handling safety, performance and comfort, as the damping is automatically adapted to the prevailing riding conditions to suit the riding situation.
The instrumentation of the new R 1200 R includes a traditional analogue speedometer, but there is also a TFT display and onboard computer for showing a wide array of information.
Three color and finish variants are available for the R 1200 R. This results in a choice of three decidedly different styling variants: the basic color in Cordoba blue non-metallic, the “Style 1” variant in Light white non-metallic with frame in Racing red, and the “Style 2” variant in Thunder grey metallic with frame in Agate grey metallic matt.
As for pricing, BMW Motorrad has yet to release one as of this writing.
2015 BMW R 1200 R Highlights:
- Classic flat-twin boxer engine with 92 kW (125 hp) at 7,750 rpm and 125 Nm (92 ft/lbs) at 6,500 rpm.
- Roadster design.
- Torsionally rigid tubular steel bridge frame with engine as self-supporting element.
- Classic wheel suspension concept using upside-down telescopic fork at the front and EVO Paralever at the rear.
- New intake air duct and central radiator for ultra-compact front silhouette.
- Upright seating position with front bias for a dynamic riding sensation combined with excellent seating comfort for longer tours.
- Restyled exhaust system in pentagonal design.
- Automatic Stability Control (ASC).
- “Rain” and “Road” riding modes.
- Riding mode Pro offering two additional riding modes, “Dynamic” and “User”, for optimum adaptation to prevailing riding conditions as an ex-works option.
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) as part of the Riding mode Pro option.
- Latest-generation Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) as an option for optimum riding dynamics in any situation.
- Powerful braking system with radial four-piston calipers and ABS.
- Lightweight 10-spoke cast wheels.
- Gear Shift Assistant Pro for fast, clutchless shifting as an ex-works option.
- Sophisticated instrument cluster offering a wide array of functions and information.
- Keyless Ride for supreme ease of use as an ex-works option.
- Three individual color schemes: Basic color, “Style 1” and “Style 2.”
- Extensive range of optional extras and special accessories available ex-works.