2015 Yamaha SR400 First Look Review
Arriving stateside this May as an early-2015 release, the SR400 brings back Yamaha’s classic SR motorcycle design.
From its standard styling to its 399cc single-cylinder thumper, the SR400 offers a retro look that is popular here in the US, especially to the hipster demographic.
The SR400, which was previously only offered in Japan, is a smaller-bore version of the SR500, a standard that was offered in North America from 1978-1999.
But the 2015 Yamaha SR400 arrives with modern technology such as electronic fuel injection and, hmmm, a single-disc brake up front. What’s not modern is the starting system – you won’t find an electric starter here. The SR400 arrives with a kick start, though it features a compression-release valve for easy kicking.
The SR400 weighs a mere 384 lb. wet, and offers a 31-inch seat height, providing a platform for both experienced and entry-level riders. And the bike will cater to those on a budget with its price tag of under $6,000, and an ability to achieve 66 mpg from its air-cooled SOHC 2-valve engine.
Following are the features, specs, color option and MSRP for the 2014 Yamaha SR500 standard motorcycle (courtesy of Yamaha).
2015 Yamaha SR400 Features:
- The 399cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled, 4-stroke, SOHC, 2-valve power plant with electronic fuel injection combined with the SR’s light weight makes for a very fun motorcycle to ride.
- Easy to start kick-starter is actuated through a handlebar mounted compression release that makes starting the SR quick and easy, with very little effort.
- The torquey, single-cylinder engine provides “thumper” appeal and engine character with a feeling of direct power connection to the rear wheel adding to the fun factor of the SR.
- Single-cylinder design is easy to maintain.
- Slim, narrow, double-cradle steel frame makes for a very compact body design for excellent rider maneuverability.
- 3.2 gallon fuel tank offers excellent touring range with an estimated 96 miles per gallon* depending on the weight of the rider, passenger and any cargo.
- Compact 55.5” wheelbase makes for quick, light steering for fun riding when the roads get twisty.
- Front disc brake offers optimum stopping power.
- Chain final drive provides excellent power transfer to the rear wheel.
2015 Yamaha SR400 Specs:
- Type: 399cc, air-cooled SOHC, 2-valve
- Bore x Stroke: 87.0 x 62.7mm
- Compression Ratio: 8.5:1
- Fuel Delivery: Fuel Injection
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 5 speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive: Chain
- Suspension / Front: Telescopic; 5.9-in travel
- Suspension / Rear: Swingarm; 4.1-in travel
- Brakes / Front: Hydraulic disc brake, 268mm
- Brakes / Rear: 150mm drum
- Tires / Front: 90/100-18M/C 54S
- Tires / Rear: 110/90-18M/C 61S
- Length: 82.1 in
- Width: 29.5 in
- Height: 43.1 in
- Seat Height: 30.9 in
- Wheelbase: 55.5 in
- Rake (Caster Angle): 27.7º
- Trail: 4.4 in
- Fuel Capacity: 3.2 gal
- Fuel Economy: 66.2 mpg
- Wet Weight: 384 lb.
2014 Yamaha SR400 Color Option/Specs:
- Liquid Graphite: $5,990