2014 Erik Buell Racing 1190 RX First Look Review
One of the highlights of the inaugural American International Motorcycle Expo (AIMExpo) was the unveiling of the newest Erik Buell Racing (EBR) sportbike – the 2014 1190 RX.
The EBR 1190 RX is driven by basic philosophies of high-performance – less weight and more power.
How much power? The EV-V2 1190cc V-Twin produces 185 horsepower at 10,600 rpm, and, more importantly, 102 ft. lbs. of torque at 8200 rpm. This torque is spread out on a long and linear curve, which allows the 2014 EBR 1190 RX to produce optimal power in every gear. Regardless of high horsepower, EBR, which will enter World Superbike in 2014, reports that the 1190 RX gets 52 mpg; with the 4.5-gallon tank, the new sportbike can get 234 miles per tank.
This power/mpg combo is possible due to a redesigned combustion chamber that features Controlled Swirl Induction – something not found on EBR last generation sportbike, the 1190 RS. This design, along with electronic fuel injection system that features two port injectors and two showerhead injectors, allows the 1190 V-Twin to optimally burn fuel.
The new RX also features a less-restrictive exhaust design that features a second resonator, and a newly designed, large-volume airbox.
All this power is harnessed in a lightweight overall motorcycle, the 1190 RX having a curb weight of 419 lbs – one of the lightest of the open class sportbikes. This lightness arrives from an extremely light frame, which also holds the fuel. The frame itself weighs only 23 lbs. As for the magnesium subframe, it weighs a mere 2 lbs. Also adding to this weight reduction are hubless, aluminum wheels, which are shod in Pirelli Rosso Corsa tires (120/17 ZR-17 front; 190/17 ZR-17 rear).
Suspension duties are handled by a Showa Big Piston Fork up front, and a Showa single shock without linkage out back.
In the slim electronic-aid department – no ABS or electronic suspension on this race-breed machine – the Buell 1190 RX features a traction-control system that utilizes 21 settings, allowing riders to customize the amount of TC based on “rider skill and operating environment.”
The 1190 RX’s unique brake system was developed through EBR’s experience in AMA Superbike racing. And to stop a bike with a top speed of 186 mph, EBR uses a 386mm Single-perimeter rotor up front, which is squeezed by an 8-piston inside-out caliper. Out back, a single 220mm disc is squeezed by a 2-piston Hayes Performance Brakes caliper.
Styling is typical of Erik Buell Racing, from the LED headlight that occupies the vertical center strip of the front fairing, to the “intentional vanishing point,” which follows the smooth fairing layout towards the small tail section.
EBR also designed a brand new digital gauge cluster, which features easily adjustable parameters such as traction control. The cluster also has information regarding track-performance data, service intervals and system diagnostics.
The 2014 Buell 1190 RX will be available in three colors – Racing Red, Strike Yellow and Galactic Black. And the thing the EBR staff is most proud of? The 1190 RX’s MSRP – $18,995.
2014 Buell 1190 RX Specs:
- Type: ET-V2 V-Twin, Four-stroke
- Bore x Stroke: 106mm x 67.5mm
- Displacement: 72.6 cu in. (1190cc)
- Compression Ratio: 13.4:1
- Fuel Delivery: Electronic Fuel Injection with 2 port injectors and 2 showerhead injectors
- Exhaust: Primary + Secondary
- Transmission: 6-Speed
- Clutch: Hydraulic actuation, vacuum operated slipper
- Peak Torque: 101.6 ft. lbs. @ 8200 rpm
- Peak Horsepower: 185 hp @ 10,600 rpm
- Frame: Aluminum frame with integral fuel reservoir
- Swignarm: Optimized stiffness aluminum
- Front Suspension: Showa, inverted big piston front forks
- Rear Suspension: Showa single shock without linkage
- Front Brake: 386 mm single perimeter rotor, 8-piston inside-out caliper
- Rear Brake: 220mm disc, 2-piston Hayes Performance Brakes Caliper
- Overall Length: 80.3”
- Overall Width: 29”
- Overall Height: 43.7”
- Wheel base: 55.5”
- Seat Height: 32.5”
- Ground Clearance: 4.7”
- Trail: 3.80”
- Rake: 22.4 degrees
- Lean Angle: 55 degrees
- Front wheel: 17 x 3.5 aluminum with Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 120/70 ZR-17
- Rear Wheel: 17 x 6 aluminum with Pirelli Diablo Ross Corsa 190/55/ ZR-17
- Fuel Capacity: 4.5 gallons
- Wet Weight: 419 lbs.
- Load Capacity: 383 lbs.