2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 R Preview
When the 2011 Aprilia Tuono V4 R was unveiled, it brought along new styling and more horsepower to the naked motorcycle genre.
The Tuono V4 R, based on the conquering RSV4 that took the 2010 and 2012 World Superbike Championships with Max Biaggi at the controls, was immediately recognized by its triple headlight, and the sound arriving from its 65-degree V4.
Aprilia’s naked was a hit, and began put some serious challenges to other nakeds, such as Ducati’s Streetfighter and Monster.
The bike returned as a carry-over for 2012 and 2013, but to keep its competitive advantage, the Noale-based Aprilia updated its Tuono V4 R for 2014.
Aprilia’s revisions include a 2.7 bump in horsepower for 170 at a lower 11,500 rpm due to an overhaul on its 999.6cc powerplant. Along with power gains, the Tuono V4 R receives Bosch 9MP ABS, a larger fuel tank, and a new seat for better overall street performance and ergonomics.
The 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 R ABS achieves its higher horsepower due to the reduction of internal friction and sump ventilation Both maximum power and maximum torque increase, with the Aprilia having 170 horsepower at 11,500 rpm and 82 ft. lbs. of torque at 9,500 rpm. This power increase is also credited towards a redesigned exhaust and highly-tuned electronic management, which includes three mappings – Track, Sport, Road.
The Tuono V4 R – the only nanked sportbike powered by a 65-degree V4, features a narrow engine design for a more compact chassis. Compared to the 2013 RSV4 ABS engine, the Tuono V4 R ABS’ version is tuned for better street manners. Here are some of the upgrades over the RSV4’s engine:
- Revised timing system
- Fixed intake ducts now 20 mm longer.
- Crankshaft flywheel with increased inertia for improved smoothness and overall balance.
- Shorter ratios in the first three gears
- Maximum power dropped to 11,500 rpm
The Tuono V4 R ABS features the technically-savvy APRC (Aprilia Performance Ride Control) found on the RSV4 R superbike. The technology derives from World Superbike, and is the only system in the industry that has the exclusive self-calibrating tire circumference function and wheelie control.
The Tuono V4 R ABS’ APRC uses:
- ATC: Aprilia Traction Control, the traction control system that can be adjusted on the fly, without closing the throttle, to 8 levels thanks to a practical joystick on the left handlebar, gains even higher performing and refined operating logic. Now the allowed percentage of skidding also differs according to the speed round a bend: The behavior of the system is even more uniform and guarantees a high level of support in turns at high speed without penalizing traction coming out of slow turns.
- AWC: Aprilia Wheelie Control with 3 settings, has been recalibrated to be even more sporty in map 1, while guaranteeing wheelying in high accelerations followed by a softer touch of the front wheel on the ground.
- ALC: Aprilia Launch Control, for use on the track only, with 3 settings.
- AQS: Aprilia Quick Shift, a system for extremely fast gear shifting without shutting the throttle and using the clutch.
The Tuono V4 R ABS features a Bosch 9MP unit, which weights a mere 4.4 lbs. The system, which can be turned off, utilizes intervention strategy called RLM (Rear wheel Lift-up Mitigation) that limits wheelying of the rear wheel when braking sharply.
The ABS features three levels:
- Level 1 Track: it is dedicated to the track but is still always type approved for road use. It acts on both wheels and guarantees maximum possible performance even when braking sharply at any speed. This setting takes nothing away from the pleasure and performance of “pushing the envelope.” With this strategy the RLM is deactivated.
- Level 2 Sport: it is dedicated to sporty riding on roads, it acts on both wheels and is combined with the tip over system RLM whose intervention is progressive based on vehicle speed.
- Level 3 Rain: dedicated to riding on surfaces with poor grip, it acts on both wheels and is combined with the advanced tip over system.
And each ABS maps can be combined in any of the three engine maps (Track, Sport, Road) for optimal results based on riding style.
The Tuono V4 R ABS features a chassis deriving directly from the RSV4, with a twin-spar aluminum frame made with cast and pressed elements in brushed aluminum. This provides a perfect balance between a structure with an excellent balance between torsional and flexional rigidity. This same structure is incorporated into the Tuono’s swingarm.
Suspension duties are handled a new 43mm upside down Sachs fork that has separate “one by one” hydraulic compression and rebound adjustments besides having the settings of the spring preload on both stanchions.
Speaking of the suspension, Aprilia says “The standard setup has been redefined to ensure a more comfortable response on open public roads. The Sachs damper with built-in piggy back allows hydraulic adjustments in compression and rebound not to mention spring preload adjustments. Even its basic calibration takes into greater consideration the use of the bike on the road.”
Stopping the 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 R ABS is a new braking system featuring radial mounted monoblock calipers Brembo M432 and 320 mm steel discs with reduced height braking tracks and asymmetrical perforation resulting in a more modulated braking power.
Finally, Aprilia increased the fuel capacity to 4.8 gallons, revised the bodywork to provide better feeling to the rider, and a redesigned the seat for additional comfort.
Following are the specs for the 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 R ABS, which will be available in black or white. Aprilia didn’t release a price or stateside availability as of this writing.
2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 R ABS Specs:
- Engine type: Aprilia longitudinal 65° V-4 cylinder, 4-stroke, liquid cooling system, double overhead camshafts (DOHC), four valves per cylinder
- Bore and stroke: 78 x 52.3 mm
- Total engine capacity: 999.6 cc
- Compression ratio: 13:1
- Maximum power at crankshaft: 170 HP (125 kW) at 11,500 rpm
- Maximum torque at crankshaft: 111.5 Nm at 9,500 rpm
- Fuel system: Airbox with front dynamic air intakes; 4 Weber-Marelli 48-mm throttle bodies with 4 injectors and latest generation Ride-by-Wire engine management.
- Choice of three different engine maps selectable by the rider with bike in motion: T (Track), S (Sport), R (Road)
- Ignition: Magneti Marelli digital electronic ignition system integrated in engine control system, with one spark plug per cylinder and “stick-coil” type coils
- Start up: Electric
- Exhaust system: 4 into 2 into 1 layout, single oxygen sensor, lateral single silencer with ECU-controlled bypass valve and integrated trivalent catalytic converter (Euro 3)
- Alternator: Flywheel mounted 450W alternator with rare earth magnets
- Lubrication: Wet sump lubrication system with oil radiator and two oil pumps (lubrication and cooling)
- Gearbox: 6-speed cassette type gearbox: 1st: 39/15 (2,600); 2nd: 33/16 (2.063); 3rd: 34/20 (1,700); 4th: 32/22 (1,455); 5th: 34/26 (1,308); 6th: 33/27 (1,222); Gear lever with Aprilia Quick Shift electronic system (aQS)
- Clutch: Multiplate wet clutch
- Primary drive: Straight cut gears and integrated flexible coupling, drive ratio: 73/44 (1,659)
- Secondary drive: Chain: Drive ratio: 42/16 (2,625)
- Traction management: APRC System (Aprilia Performance Ride Control), which includes Traction Control (aTC), Wheelie Control (aWC), Launch Control (aLC), all of which can be configured and deactivated independently.
- Aluminum dual beam chassis with pressed and cast sheet elements.
- Steering Damper: Sachs
- Front suspension: Sachs upside-down “one by one” fork, stanchions 43 mm. Forged aluminum feet for radial calliper mounting; Completely adjustable spring preload and hydraulic compression and rebound damping; Wheel travel: 120 mm
- Rear suspension: Double braced aluminum swingarm; mixed low thickness and sheet casting technology; Sachs piggy back monoshock with completely adjustable: spring preload and hydraulic compression and rebound damping. APS progressive linkage; Wheel travel: 130 mm
- Front Brakes: Dual 320 mm floating stainless steel discs with lightweight stainless steel rotor with 6 studs. Brembo monobloc radial callipers M432 with 4 horizontally opposed 32 mm Ø pistons. Sintered pads. Axial pump master cylinder and metal braided brake hoses.
- Rear Brakes: 220 mm diameter disc; Brembo floating calliper with two 32-mm isolated pistons. Sintered pads. Pump with integrated tank and metal braided hose.
- ABS: Bosch 9MP, adjustable on 3 maps, featuring RLM strategy and disconnectable.
- Wheel rims: Cast aluminum wheels with 3 split spoke design: Front.:3.5”X17”; Rear: 6.00”X17”
- Tires: Radial tubeless, Front: 120/70 ZR 17; Rear: 190/55 ZR 17 (alternative: 190/50 ZR 17; 200/55 ZR 17)
- Max. length: 81.2 inches
- Max. width: 31.4 inches (at the handlebar)
- Max. height: 42.9 inches
- Min. height from the ground: 4.9 inches
- Saddle height: 32.8 inches
- Wheelbase: 56.8 inches
- Trail: 4.2 inches
- Steering angle: 25°
- Dry weight: 408 lbs. (dry weight)
- Tank: 4.8 gallons (4-litre reserve included)