2012 Dayton AMA Arenacross | Preview
2012 AMA Arenacross
The 2012 AMA Arenacross Series has reached the halfway point, and following six rounds of competition, a familiar face sits atop the championship standings.
Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers took over sole possession of the Arenacross Class points lead last weekend in Topeka, grabbing his seventh win of the season on Friday night, and following it up with a runner-up effort on Saturday.
This weekend, the championship heads east to Dayton, Ohio, and the Nutter Center for the seventh round of the season, and one of the longest-running stops in the AMA Arenacross Series on Saturday, January 21.
As Bowers assumed control of the championship in Topeka, his closest rival, FMF Power/Poynt TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson experienced some misfortune. After pacing Bowers on the opening night to secure a second-place result, Gibson made contact with Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/Storm Lake Honda’s Nathan Skaggs while going for the lead on Saturday. The end result left Gibson on the ground and mired in eighth place, where he would finish.
Now, 12 points separates Bowers from Gibson after entering last weekend in a tie. With six rounds and eight main events remaining before a champion is crowned in 2012, the intensity is sure to increase this weekend in Dayton.
A large contingent of Ohio-based riders has helped make the AMA Arenacross Series one of the most anticipated annual festivities in the state. With prominent series figures like Gibson and Skaggs, in addition to Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/Storm Lake KTM’s Willy Browning and Bella’s Cupcakes/Club MX Kawasaki’s Zach Ames, all calling the Buckeye State home, it is sure to generate considerable buzz throughout Dayton and beyond.
The Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Championship is also back in action this weekend at the Nutter Center, following a one-week hiatus from competition in which the Western Regional Championship took center stage. Motostar Kawasaki’s Michael McDade currently leads the standings, but a hard-charging Dave Ginolfi is making his presence felt aboard his Reed & Reese KTM. Just six points separate the two riders with only two rounds remaining.
Saturday night’s action from the Nutter Center is set to kick off with opening ceremonies beginning at 7 p.m. EDT.
2012 AMA Arenacross Class Points (After Race 10 of 19)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki (7 wins) – 235
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda (2 wins) – 223
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki (2 wins) – 206
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM – 172
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 153
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki – 146
- Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki – 127
- Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM – 117
- Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM – 101
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 73
2012 Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 8 of 10)
- Michael McDade, Indiana, Pa., Kawasaki (1 win) – 156
- Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatcong, N.J., KTM (2 win) – 150
- Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM (3 wins) – 137
- Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki – 115
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM – 97
- Travis Sewell, Westfield, Ind., KTM – 91
- Austin Coon, Spencer, W. Va., Honda – 69
- Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM – 62
- Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 58
- Maxx Malatia, Itasca, Ill., Honda – 52
2012 Western Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 3 of 9)
- Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM – 47
- Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 47
- Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 36
- Brandon Marley, McEwen, Tenn., KTM – 19
- Cody Church, Grand Junction, Colo., Kawasaki – 18
- Aviery Hickey, Southlake, Texas, Honda – 11
- Shawn Rife, Mechanicsburg, Ohio, Honda – 7
- Devin Reed, Indianola, Iowa, Honda – 6
- Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., KTM – 6
- Jeremy Huddleston, Eustace, Texas, KTM – 5
2012 Dash for Cash Winners:
- Des Moines – Zach Ames
- Baltimore Night One – Tyler Bowers
- Baltimore Night Two – Tyler Bowers
- Madison Night One – Willy Browning
- Madison Night Two – Jeff Gibson
- Wilkes Barre Night One – Tyler Bowers
- Wilkes Barre Night Two – Nathan Skaggs
- Grand Rapids Night One – Zach Ames
- Grand Rapids Night Two – Jeff Gibson
- Topeka Night One – Chad Johnson
- Topeka Night Two – Nathan Skaggs
Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series returns for the 2012 season! To follow the intense racing action live, log onto Arenacross.com.Google+