2011 Isle of Man TT
Last week during practice for the 2011 Isle of Man TT, Bruce Anstey was the only rider to break the 131-mph barrier in the Superbike solo class. But when the first Superbike race of 2011 IOMTT arrived on Saturday (Dainese 6-Lap Superbike), the Kiwi rider retired with trouble on his Padgetts Honda CBR1000RR.
But Anstey redeemed himself during a shortened, 3-lap Supersport Race 1 on Monday, taking his eight IOMTT victory, and first since 2008.
Anstey would end up finishing 8.39 seconds ahead of Honda TT Legends rider Keith Amor. Taking the third was Guy Martin, although he crashed at Creg Ny Baa before the IOMTT Supersport race was red flagged due to the fatal, one-man IOMTT crash at Gorse Lea involving Derek Brien.
When the race on the 37.73-mile Mountain Course restarted, Wilson Craig Honda's Cameron Donald lead over Street Sweep Yamaha R6 rider Michael Dunlop and Anstey. Behind were Gary Johnson, Saturday's Dainese IOMTT Superbike winner John McGuinness, Amor, Dan Kneen and Guy Martin.
By the end of the first lap on restart of Supersport Race 1, Dunlop seemed unstoppable, having a 1.5-second lead over Donald. But soon IOMTT riders began pitting, and there was some confusion due to position changes.
On the next time around at Glen Helen during the Supersport IOMTT race, Johnson was the new leader, having a 37-second lead due to Dunlop retiring at Ballig Bridge. But when he pitted for fuel, he gave the lead to Donald, with Anstey in second.
But trouble came Donald's way, and he had bike issues at Kirk Michael, forcing him to retire. This gave the lead to Anstey, who also held the fastest lap of the Supersport 1 race at 126.59 mph. Amor would finish in second, eight seconds ahead of Martin.
As for the TT Championship points lead, McGuinness continues to lead with 36 points, three ahead of Amor.
2011 Isle of Man TT: Supersport Race 1 Results (Monday, June 6):
- Bruce Anstey / Padgetts Honda CBR600: 54:40.01, 124.232 mph
- Keith Amor / KBMG Racing Suzuki GSX-R 600: 54:48.40, 123.916
- Guy Martin /Relentless Suzuki by TAS Racing GSX-R600
- Gary Johnson / East Coast Construction Honda CBR600
- John McGuinness / Padgetts Motorcycles Honda CBR600
- Dan Kneen / Marks Bloom Racing Yamaha YZF-R6
- Ian Lougher / Blackhorse Kawasaki ZX-6R
- Ben Wylie / Yamaha YZF-R6
- Ian Mackman / Kemtile Triumph 675
- Daniel Stewart / Wilcock Consulting Honda CBR600