SX Race Results Indy
In front of a packed crowd of 60,019, the 2010 Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, season made its East Coast debut from Indianapolis’ Lucas Oil Stadium. The premier AMA Supercross class entered the evening with a tie atop the standings between Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey and San Manuel Yamaha’s Josh Hill.
When the checkered flag flew tonight, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto stood atop the podium for his third win of the season. Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Christophe Pourcel grabbed the victory in the opening round of the AMA Arenacross Lites Eastern Regional Championship.
Honda Red Bull Racing’s Davi Millsaps kicked-off the 20-lap AMA Supercross main event by grabbing the Spike Holeshot Award with GEICO Powersports Honda’s Kevin Windham, of Centreville, Miss., and Villopoto following in second and third, respectively.
Millsaps and Windham would engage in a back-and-forth battle for the lead over the first couple laps before Windham made a pass stick on lap two. Villopoto would proceed to work his way to the front along with Dungey, as both riders moved by Millsaps.
As the race hit the halfway mark, Villopoto battled with Windham, making the winning pass on lap 11 while Dungey took second the next lap. The trio would finish in that order – Villopoto, Dungey and Windham.
Ryan Vllopoto Speaks…
"Going out of the last chance I had the outside gate," said Villopoto, who failed to finish his heat race after a crash and had to qualify for the main event through the last chance qualifier. "I was second to last to line up (for the main event) and I really just can’t thank the guys at Monster Energy Kawasaki enough. It was the fastest bike out there and I was able to get a good holeshot.
"Starting on the outside there killed me," he continued. "I was able to make something of it, which was awesome."
Villopoto’s second straight win and third victory in the last four races moves him into a tie at the top of the standings with Dungey.
GEICO Powersports Honda’s Justin Barcia raced to the AMA Arenacross Lites Spike Holeshot Award with Pourcel and Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Austin Stroupe in tow. Pourcel quickly moved into the lead and never looked back, leading all 15 laps of the main event. Barcia kept the reigning class champion honest, but fell on lap three, dropping several positions. Pourcel crossed the line 5.22 seconds ahead of Stroupe in the runner-up spot to open up an early points lead while Barcia recovered to finish third for his first-career podium in his series debut.
Christophe Pourcel Speaks…
"I just felt pretty good on my Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki," said Pourcel. "Everything was ok today for me so I am just really happy to win the race tonight. The track was pretty tight tonight and I needed to win the race so coming into the main event I just gave my best (effort)."
2010 AMA Supercross Class Results: Indianapolis
1) Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2) Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
3) Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
4) Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
5) Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
6) Chris Blose, Phoenix, Ariz., Honda
7) Grant Langston, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
8) Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
9) Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha
10) Jason Lawrence, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
2010 AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1) Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 145
2) Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 145
3) Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 135
4) Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 114
5) Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 106
6) Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 105
7) Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 97
8) Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 74
9) Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 69
10) Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Suzuki, 61
2010 Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results: Indianapolis
1) Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki
2) Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki
3) Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
4) Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha
5) Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
6) Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki
7) Kyle Regal, Kemp, Texas, Yamaha
8) Nico Izzi, Albany, Ga., Yamaha
9) Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Yamaha
10) Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Suzuki
2010 Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1) Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki, 25
2) Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki, 22
3) Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 20
4) Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha, 18
5) Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 16
6) Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki, 15
7) Kyle Regal, Kemp, Texas, Yamaha, 14
8) Nico Izzi, Albany, Ga., Yamaha, 13
9) Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Yamaha, 12
10) Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Suzuki, 11
The Monster Energy Supercross series heads to Atlanta, Ga. next Saturday, February 27, for its eighth race of the season at the Georgia Dome.