2014 BBC Rally and Ride-in Show Recap | Year of the Sidecar
2014 BBC Rally and Ride-In Show
The 34th British Biker Cooperative (BBC) Rally and Ride-in show was a particularly satisfying success July 18-20 near Blue River in southern Wisconsin.
That’s because the theme was “Year of the Sidecar,” and even the most optimistic hopes to attract sidecars — particularly British and vintage — sidecars were probably exceeded. Nearly 20 sidecars made the event and 12 of them were entered in the people’s choice bike show on Saturday.
The fact that focusing on sidecars is not a common theme for motorcycle rallies these days made selection of that theme something of a risky proposition — like planning a party, expending a lot of energy in setting it all up, only to have the guests of honor not show up.
Jim Ryan’s stunning black with white pin-striping 1962 BMW R60 with Steib sidecar overcame all the competition to take first place in the featured class. The Beemer edged out the fascinating 1951 750 cc Nimbus sidecar rig of Bob Haessly. Though the Nimbus didn’t win the sidecar class, it did win “Best in Show.”
Though membership in the BBC requires ownership of a British-built bike (new or old), enjoying the BBC’s annual rally and entering the bike show does not. One of the most visually striking bikes at the event was the third place finisher in the Non-British Class a 1984 Kenny Roberts Edition Yamaha RZ350.
In its vivid yellow and black repli-racer livery, it looked like it was ready for Road America, or Silverstone or—Wisconsin’s curvy and scenic highway 60.
For more information about the BBC and its annual Rally and Ride-in bike show, visit britishbiker.net.
2014 BBC Rally Class winners:
- Old Stock British (1948-1959): 1959 Velocette MSS—Cliff Burger
- Late Stock British (1960-1989): 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor, MK II—Cliff Burger
- Modern Retro British (1990-present): 2006 Royal Enfield 500cc Bullet—Chris Kopplin
- Modern Stock British (1990-present): 2007 Triumph Speed Triple—James Frenzel
- Custom British (any vintage): 1974 Norton Commando 850—Dick Schmidt
- Radical British (any vintage): 1958 Triumph T100—Jim Schwege
- Rat British (any year): 1970 Triumph Trophy 500—Logan Harden
- Non-British (any year): 2014 Harley-Davidson 48 Sportster—Jesse Garcia
- Featured class (sidecar): 1962 BMW R60—Jim Ryan
- Best in Show: 1951 Nimbus 750cc sidecar—Bob Haessly