2014 MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster | Unveiled
2014 MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster Preview with Photos and Full Specs
Last week, MV Agusta teased the latest motorcycle built on its inline-three 800 platform, a bike it simply called the “Dragster.”
We knew it would feature the 125-horsepower 798cc triple, and from the teaser video, its styling and fatter-rear tire appeared to rival Ducati’s power cruiser, the Diavel.
But much was left to speculation, which helped create ridiculous rumors, including some saying the Dragster may be turbo charged.
MV Agusta cleared all the nonsense Friday when it finally unclothed its latest model, now called the Brutale 800 Dragster.
Speaking of the name with typical Italian flair, MVA says “with consummate Italian craftsmanship, the Brutale 800 Dragster re-evokes the epic DNA of the ‘dragster’ race bikes, specifically built to release their explosive power in the few seconds that separate clutch release from the checkered flag. Seconds as scorching hot as the rubber left smoking on the tarmac.”
The 2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster is the fifth motorcycle built on the 800 platform, which includes the (now) standard Brutale 800, the F3 800, the Rivale 800 and the Turismo Veloce. MV Agusta is also expected to launch another model in 2014, and like all the previous models before the release date, all details remain hush.
The Brutale 800 Dragster offers the most muscular looks so far in the 800 lineup, along with the company’s latest electronics, including the MVICS (Motor&Vehicle Integrated Control) that features three riding modes plus a customizable map, and eight levels of traction control, and the Bosch 9 Plus ABS system, which is now available for all 2014 800 models.
The 798cc triple has impressed us over and over during launches of the other 800 models, and the Dragster should be no different. MV claims the Dragster’s powerplant makes the same horsepower as the Rivale 800 – 125 – but peaks 400 rpm earlier at 11,600 rpm. The engine also produces the same torque as the Rivale 800 – 60 ft.-lb. at 8600 rpm.
The Dragster will feature MV Agusta’s second generation MVICS 2.0 (Motor & Vehicle Integrated Control System) with three preset mapping options – Touring, Sport and Rain – and a custom option that gives riders total control of all parameters. Sport has full horsepower, and Touring and Rain 91.
These controllable parameters are the engine torque curve inline with power output (two levels), rev limiter cut in point (Hard or Soft), throttle sensitivity (three levels), engine braking (two levels), engine response (two levels) and traction control (eight levels).
Like the other 800 models, the Brutale 800 Dragster also receives Anti Wheelie system, Ride-by-Wire throttle, cruise control, and EAS 2.0 (Electronically Assisted Shift) system, which allows for clutchless shifting.
Like the other 800 models, the Dragster features the signature steel-trellis frame and single-sided swingarm, all united through two aluminum-alloy plates.
The wheelbase is a short 54.33 inches, the same size as the standard Brutale 800, which will undoubtedly provide an agile platform for urban situations. But the wider, Pirelli Diablo Rossi II 200mm rear tire (standard Brutale 180mm) will likely affect cornering ability.
Suspension duties are handled by a 43mm upside-down Marzocchi fork up front and a Sachs rear shock out back, both offering 4.9 inches of travel. Stopping the Dragster are twin 320mm discs up front squeezed by Brembo four-piston calipers, and a single 220mm disc out back squeezed by a Brembo two-piston caliper.
MV Agusta says it improved seat comfort, though the saddle is a bit higher than the standard Brutale 800 (by a mere millimeter), and the foot pegs were redesigned.
We are without a doubt fans of MV Agusta’s 800 triples, and are anticipating the launch of the 2014 Brutale 800 Dragster, which is available in White and Matt Metallic Grey. Then we will know if the bike lives up to its tagline – “Adrenaline Addicts Only.”
Stay clicked to UltimateMotorCycling.com for a First Ride Review once the bike is unleashed.
MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster Specs
- Type: Three cylinder, 4 stroke, 12 valve
- Timing System: “D.O.H.C”
- Displacement: 798 cc (48.68 cu. in.)
- Compression Ratio: 13.3:1
- Bore X Stroke: 79 mm x 54.3 mm (3.1 in. x 2.1 in.)
- Max Power: 92 kW (125 hp) at 11600 rpm
- Max Torque: 81 Nm (8.25 kgm) at 8600 rpm
- Max Speed: 153.1 mph
- Cooling: Cooling with separated liquid and oil radiators
- Fuel Management: Integrated ignition – injection system MVICS (Motor & Vehicle Integrated Control System) with three injectors Engine control unit Eldor EM2.0, throttle body full drive by wire Mikuni, pencil-coil with ion-sensing technology, control of detonation and misfire Torque control with four maps, Traction Control with eight levels of intervention
- Electronic Quick Shift: MV EAS (Electronically Assisted Shift)
- Clutch: Wet, multi-disc with mechanical drive
- Tranmission: Cassette style; six speed, constant mesh
- Primary Drive: 19/36
- Frame: ALS steel tubular trellis
- Front Suspension: Marzocchi “UPSIDE DOWN” telescopic hydraulic fork with rebound-compression damping and spring preload external and separate adjustment
- Fork Diameter: 43 mm (1.69 in.)
- Fork Travel: 125 mm (4.92 in.)
- Rear Suspension: Progressive Sachs, single shock absorber with rebound and compression damping and spring preload adjustment
- Single-Sided Swingarm Material: Aluminium alloy
- Wheel Travel: 125 mm (4.92 in.)
- Front Brakes: Double floating disc with Ø 320 mm (Ø 12.6 in.) diameter, with steel braking disc and flange
- Front Brake Calipers: Brembo radial-type, with 4 pistons Ø 32 mm (Ø 1.26 in.)
- Rear Brake: Single steel disc with Ø 220 mm (Ø 8.66 in.) dia.
- Rear Brake Caliper: Brembo with 2 pistons – Ø 34 mm (Ø 1.34 in.)
- ABS System: Bosch 9 Plus with RLM (Rear wheel Lift-up Mitigation)
- Wheels: Front – Aluminium alloy 3.50 ” x 17 ”; Rear – Aluminium alloy 6.00 ” x 17 ”
- Tires: Front – 120/70 – ZR 17 M/C (58 W); Rear – 200/50 – ZR 17 M/C (75 W)
Dimensions / Weight:
- Wheelbase: 1380 mm (54.30 in.)
- Overall Length: 2060 mm (81.06 in.)
- Overall Width: 825 mm (32.46 in.)
- Seat Height: 811 mm (31.91 in.)
- Minimum Ground Clearance: 149 mm (5.86 in.)
- Trail: 95 mm (3.74 in.)
- Dry Weight: 167 kg (368.2 lbs.)
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 16.6 l (4.39 U.S. gal.)
MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster Color Options / MSRP (Only Euro Prices Released)
- White / €13,490
- Matt Metallic Grey / €13,490