2014 Honda CBR1000RR SP Preview
Although it’s not the all new machine that Team Pata Honda racers Jonathan Rea and Leon Haslam would like to see for 2014, the new Honda CBR1000RR SP will surely appeal to club racers and track day fans.
Suspension upgrades are a big part of the SP package. There are 43mm Öhlins inverted forks with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability in the front, along with four-piston Brembo calipers grabbing onto floating 320mm rotors. In the rear, the CBR1000RR SP gets an Öhlins linkage rear shock with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability.
Engine performance was not overlooked, and the SP has a new intake tract, cylinder head, and exhaust system, which Honda says will give the CBR1000RR more horsepower and torque. The pistons and connection rods are hand-selected, so they will be perfectly balanced, giving the bike more performance and smoother operation.
Ergonomics are track-inspired, with new handlebars and the footpegs have been relocated. A new bubble screen to create a larger still-air pocket in the cockpit enhances rider protection at high speed. At the other end, there’s a new, lighter subframe that lowers the center of gravity and supports a new single seat design – no passenger footpegs or seat on the SP.
Finally, to complement all the other changes, Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC rubber will be mounted on the wheels.
The 2014 Honda CBR1000RR SP gets a unique tri-color paint scheme, so everyone will know you’re on an SP (if they didn’t notice the gold Öhlins components).
Shown in the photos is the Euro-spec SP, as the American version was not available for photography. Honda will be selling a very limited number of CBR1000RR SP motorcycles, so buyers are encouraged to visit a dealer and put in an advance order.
Final accessory list TBD and subject to change without notice.
2014 Honda CBR1000RR SP Specs:
- Engine Type: 999.8cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder
- Bore and Stroke: 76.0mm x 55.1mm
- Compression ratio: 12.3:1
- Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
- Induction: Programmed Dual Stage Fuel Injection (PGM-DSFI) with 46mm throttle
- bodies, Denso 12-hole injectors
- Ignition: Computer-controlled digital transistorized with 3-D mapping
- Transmission: Close-ratio six-speed
- Final Drive: #530 O-ring-sealed chain
- Front: 43mm Öhlins inverted fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; TBD inches travel
- Rear: Unit Pro-Link Öhlins shock with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; TBD inches travel
- Front: Brembo four-piston calipers with floating 320mm dual discs
- Rear: Single-piston caliper with 220mm disc
- Front: 120/70-17 Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC
- Rear: 190/50-17 Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC
- Wheelbase: 55.5 inches
- Rake: 23° 3’
- Trail: 3.7 inches
- Seat Height: 32.2 inches
- Fuel Capacity: 4.4 gallons
- Color: White/Red/Blue
- Curb Weight*: 441 pounds
- 2014 Honda CBR1000RR SP Price: TBA