2011 Dakar Video
UPDATE: At the end of Stage 6, it was determined that Ruben Faria, the fastest rider of the special stage, did not respect the obligation to stop for 15 minutes during refueling.
The KTM rider only stopped 5’13 and the remaining 9’47 have been added to his provisional time. This new time takes his victory away on behalf of his countryman Helder Rodrigues. In the reviewed ranking of the stage, Faria is 7th. Updated story can be read here.
Stage 6 of the 2011 Dakar Rally brought riders from Inquique to Arica on Friday, with KTM Rally 450 rider Ruben Faria taking the win. After over 4,500 km of travel in South America, the riders get their first and only rest of the 13-stage event.
Faria finished the Dakar stage in the trick talc-like sands 50 minutes ahead of his fellow Portuguese countryman, Helder Rodrigues (Yamaha).
Taking third and fourth were his fellow KTM riders, Marc Coma and Cyril Despres, respectively. Coma still maintains the overall lead, now 8:48 seconds ahead of Despres.
As for overall Dakar standings after Stage 6, Coma leads, followed by Despres. In third is Francisco (Chaleco) Lopez, who is 22:12 seconds behind Coma. Rodrigues is in fourth (27.35 behind Coma), and Faria moved up into fifth overall, 29:54 seconds behind Coma.
The 2011 Dakar continues on Sunday for Stage 7, which will take riders from Arica to Antofagasta. The stage offers a 208 km liaison and a mammoth 631 km in two stages of special down to the shores of the Pacific.
2011 Dakar Stage Six Results
1. Ruben Faria, Portugal, KTM, 5:35:27
2. Helder Rodrigues, Portugal, Yamaha, at 00:50
3. Cyril Despres, Andorra, KTM, at 3:54
4. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM, at 5:20
5. Stefan Svitko, Slovakia, KTM, at 8:07
2011 Dakar Standings after Stage Six
1. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM, 22:40:20
2. Cyril Despres, Andorra, KTM, at 8:48
3. Francisco (Chaleco) Lopez, Chile, Aprilia, 22:12
4. Helder Rodrigues, Portugal, Yamaha, at 27:35
5. Ruben Faria, Portugal, KTM at 29:54