Suzuki RM85 Preview
Faithful to their “race-breed performance” moto, Suzuki relies on their data from weekends at the racetrack to improve on their existing models. This is especially true in the motorcross / off-road world of motorcycles, where Suzuki’s RM-Z 450 and 250 models are dominating across all expert classes.
But Suzuki never leaves the youth behind, and continues the youth-inspired line of RM85 dirt bikes for 2011. From motor to suspension to looks, the 2011 is designed as the stepping stone for future MX / SX stars.
- The RM85’s high-revving 84.7cc, 2-stroke, liquid-cooled, reed-valve engine has a bore and stroke of 48.0mm x 46.8mm. The cylinder features Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) for durability, weight reduction and effective heat transfer for superior class performance.
- A Keihin PE28 carburetor provides smooth throttle response and is designed for simplified maintenance.
- The exhaust valves are made of aluminum to best match the expansion rate of the cylinder itself, improve sealing.
- The RM85’s exhaust valve governor and actuator helps provide good throttle response and overall tractability.
- A digital CDI map helps provide strong engine performance at higher rpms.
- The RM85 comes with a large-capacity radiator for efficient engine cooling.
- Showa rear shock absorber with large diameter shock body and valving designed to produce a plush feel and increase bottoming resistance
- Aluminum swingarm with chain adjustment system similar to RM250
- Brake and shift pedals designed with thick cross-section for durability
- Chrome-moly footpegs for increased durability and improved rider feel
- Frame designed for increased rigidity, durability and straight line performance; features large diameter tubing in key areas and large front reinforcement plate
- Fuel tank, radiator shroud, seat and number plates with design and graphics similar to RM250
- Lightweight rear brake system with large 200mm diameter rear brake rotor for positive brake feel
- Showa 37mm inverted fork featuring cartridge damping system with fully-adjustable rebound damping and 20-way adjustable compression damping – Includes fork guards to protect inner fork tubes
- Twin piston front brake caliper and large 220mm diameter front brake rotor, plus large capacity front master cylinder
- Wheel sizes to meet AMA 85cc class regulations F: 70/100-17, R: 90/100-14
- High-revving 84.7cc, liquid-cooled, case-reed engine produces strong peak power and torque – includes aluminum exhaust valves for more stable exhaust flow and RM125-style exhaust valve governor and linkage for precise valve movement and strong throttle response
- Keihin PE28 carburetor provides smooth throttle response and is designed for simplified maintenance
- Knurl-finished gear shift lever tip for improved appearance and feel
- Large-capacity radiator for efficient engine cooling
- Magneto cover with styling similar to RM250
- SCEM-plated cylinder – lighter than a steel-sleeved cylinder with superior heat transfer capability
- Easy to use clutch lever with long lever stroke for precise clutch operation and feel
- Smooth shifting 6-speed transmission – shift drum detent plate and detent spring designed for positive shift feel, plus needle bearing mounted on the left side of the shift drum to reduce friction.
- A tubular steel frame and thick wall aluminum swingarm provides class-leading performance on the track, especially in the corners. The frame was designed for increased rigidity, durability and straight-line performance; it features large diameter tubing in key areas and a large front reinforcement plate.
- Showa 37mm inverted front forks are completely adjustable for rider weight, style and ability. The forks feature a cartridge damping system with fully-adjustable rebound damping and 20-way adjustable compression damping (also included are fork guards to protect the inner fork tubes). The front forks offer 275mm (10.8-inches) of travel.
- A Showa rear shock absorber, with large diameter shock body, is designed and properly valved to produce a plush feel and increase bottoming resistance. The Showa rear shock provides 277mm (10.9-inches) of wheel travel.
- The RM85 comes with a twin-piston caliper front brake with 220mm (8.7-inches) large-diameter disc and a rear brake with 200mm (7.9-inches) disc to provide excellent braking performance.
- The RM85 also comes with a light, narrow-diameter front and rear brake hose. The font brake hose is routed behind the fork leg, eliminating the need for a brake hose cover, which helps reduce weight.
- A rigid rear brake caliper provides reliable braking performance, long pad life and is easy to maintain.
- A plastic rear brake caliper guard reduces the possibility of deformation and saves weight as well.
- The RM85’s forged aluminum-alloy rear brake pedal gives the rider accurate braking feel.
- The RM85’s footpegs are made of cast chrome-molybdenum steel, instead of stamped steel, which makes them more durable with better grip.
- A long clutch lever makes it easy to accurately locate and work the engagement point during starts and when clutching off at corners.
- Each side of the RM85’s seat has textured surface for better knee gripping.
- The RM85’s wheel sizes meet AMA 85cc class regulations (Front: 70/100-17; Rear: 90/100-14)
- The RM85 is equipped with a smooth shifting six-speed transmission. The transmission features a fully worked-out shift mechanism including a strong shift-drum detent spring and needle bearing on the left side of the shift drum. A knurled shift-pedal tip delivers excellent grip and shift feel.
2011 RM85 Motorcycle Specifications:
- Overall Length 1805 mm (71.1 in)
- Overall Width 735 mm (28.9 in)
- Wheelbase 1240 mm (48.8 in)
- Ground Clearance 325 mm (12.8 in)
- Seat Height 850 mm (33.5 in)
- Curb Weight 73 kg (161 lbs)
- Transmission 6-speed constant mesh
- Final Drive Chain, DID428DS, 118 links
- Suspension Front Telescopic, pneumatic/coil spring, oil damped
- Suspension Rear Link type, coil spring, oil damped
- Brakes Front Disc brake
- Brakes Rear Disc brake
- Tires Front 70/100-17 40M, tube type
- Tires Rear 90/100-14 49M, tube type
- Fuel Tank Capacity 5.0 L (1.3 US gallons)
- Displacement 84.7cc, 2-stroke, liquid-cooled, single cylinder
- Fuel System KEIHIN PE28, single
- Starter Primary kick
- Ignition Electronic ignition (CDI)
- Warranty No Warranty