Honda CRF450R Preview
Honda has always been a leader in the MX / SX and off-road motorcycle scene. And for 2011, the manufacturer wants to continue this trend by adding more improvements on their largest motocrosser, the CRF450R.
Honda revamped the CRF 450 R for 2011, tweaking the engine for more low-end and midrange grunt while improving throttle response. Also, Honda has upgraded the suspension with the all-new Honda Progressive Steering Damper (HPSD).
Bill Savino (Powersports Press Manager) says: “We’re proud to unveil our newest race bikes, the CRF450R and CRF250R motocrossers, plus a wide assortment of Honda off-road machines that have remained extremely popular with recreational riders over the years. With these models for 2011 and more to follow, this is certainly going to be a great year for riding enthusiasts.”
New For 2011:
- Revised engine tuning and new 46mm throttle body increase low-end and midrange power and give improved throttle response.
- Front fork features a lighter cartridge cylinder and all-new valving for improved control and increased ride plushness.
- Revised shock valving yields improved control and increased rear wheel traction.
- New suspension linkage produces improved chassis balance and increased rear wheel traction in rough-track conditions.
- Honda Progressive Steering Damper (HPSD) features larger piston diameter (20mm to 24mm) for improved tracking traits.
- Redesigned muffler lowers sound emissions to 94 dB.
2011 CRF450R Specs:
- Engine Type: 449cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore and Stroke: 96mm x 62.1mm
- Compression ratio: 12.0:1
- Valve Train: Unicam, four-valve; 36mm intake, titanium; 30mm exhaust, steel
- Induction: PGM-FI, 50mm throttle body
- Ignition: Full transistor with electronic advance
- Transmission: Close-ratio five-speed
- Final Drive: #520 chain; 13T/48T
- Suspension Front: 48mm inverted KYB Air-Oil-Separate (AOS) with rebound and compression damping adjustability; 12.2 inches travel
- Rear: Pro-Link KYB single shock with spring preload, rebound damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustment separated into low-speed and high-speed; 12.5 inches travel
- Brakes Front: Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper
- Rear: Single 240mm disc
- Tires Front: 80/100-21
- Rear: 120/80-19
- Wheelbase: 58.7 inches
- Rake (Caster angle): 26° 52′
- Trail: 114.2mm (4.5 inches)
- Seat Height: 37.6 inches
- Ground Clearance: 13.1 inches
- Fuel Capacity: 1.5 gallons
- Color: Red
- Curb Weight*: TBD
MSRP: $7,199. Available in Red beginning October 2010.